VMware Cloud Community
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please Help me about Installion ESXI or ESX

hello everyone

i need some help to install ESX 4.1 because when i boot from CD and install it i saw after loading this message

elcr contains invalid data

i have Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

with i7 950 and 8G of Ram

so i don't know what is my problem ??

can you help me please ?

also i can't Install ESXi 4.1 and show me message about Hardware !!!!!!!!

thank you very much

0 Kudos
19 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,
Have you checked the VMware HCL in order to make sure your hardware is compatible?.
Check out this links:
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi pcerda,

thanks for reply to me

can you please tell me how to use this link with my specification ?

i have i7 950 and Gigabyte Motherboard with 8 G of ram and 1TB HD

also i have i7920 and MSI Motherboard with 8G of Ram at Germany and its working fine without any problem

so really i don't know what is the problem with this  my new PC because everything is very good and i don't use any Raid Controller

thanks again

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,
In the Whitebox HCL, check out if your motherboard appears.
This list is made with users experiences using unsupported Hardware like yours.
0 Kudos
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i don't know ! i found Gigabyte Name only in Partner Name but i didn't found anything after search

i used alsod basic search i don't know what is that

do you have any idea about this error because i think this problem for three reasons

1- Type of RAM

2- VGA Card

3- DVD Device

but i don't know is this for Motherboard because its very good

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There are a lot of good motherboard which are not supported by VMware.  If your hardware is not on the official HCL, you can experience issues like this.

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

How are you booting the CD media, Did you try with external CD drive. Also see if you could try by scripted installation method / PXE booting and installation.

Do you have the screenshot of the problem,are you able to access the console Alt + F2 - 6, Alt + F12 and see if you could get any error or relevent messages over there.

Make sure the md5sum of the media.

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello

i chabged the RAM, DVD, And VGA Card  but  i have same problem my friends :-((

my problem again about installaion ESX or ESXI ver. 4.1

after booting from CD and choose installation with graphical mode or text mode

i saw loading bar and when completed %84 i saw full blank screen and write on first line this

" ELCR Contains invalid data .....not using ELCR

and the last line  this

" Kernel alive "

" Kernal    Mapping tables up to 1200000000"

so please tell me what is the soloution is this problem because my Mother Board  " Gigabyte X58A-UD3R "

go to this link for to see it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423&Tpk=Gigabyte%20X58A-UD3R

i have 8Gram and i7-950 cpu

so please tell me is this motherboard compatible or not ?

and what is the best motherboard with i7-950 and compatible with ESX and also have more than PCI-Express to install another card like Raid and intel Nic Cards.

please help me becuase i bought this motherboard yesterday and i can resend again to store to replace it.

thanks and regards

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The only real answer for what is compatible is to use the Hardware Compatibility List. Most problems with installation on unsupported hardware come from the embedded components not the motherboard or processor themselves. Onboard Network cards are seldom compatible and must be disabled and a plugin NIC is required. RAID controllers must be hardware based. I would look through the http://vm-help.com website for setups that have been successful. I would also consider getting the exact configuration that you have working in Germany.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for reply to me  mr. DSTAVERT

i disabled builtin Lan on board and i added  another card from Intel on PCI slot

and i have same problem too

i think i must buy intel server nic card to test it before resend the motherboard because i think after your reply this problem about NIC Card

can you help me about my motherboard and tell me is this compatible or not with vmware because i don't know how to use the Hardware Compatibility List from Vmware

thanks again my friend for your reply to me

i hope to fix this problem my friends really i need you to share your experince with me about it because i must resend this motherboard within two days only if i want replace it

thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would send it back. Either call Dell, HP, IBM for a low cost server to support ESX(i) or choose one of the motherboards and other components from http://vm-help.com/  Why don't you just get another motherboard like the one you already have that is working?????

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

if you could get a replacement of motherboard without additional cost, i would then suggest doing so and instead of wasting more time. you could face more problems later even if you have resolved this stage.

as advised, please check the motherboard,nic,storage card and etc at http://vm-help.com/ & http://ultimatewhitebox.com/ those lists are tested by the community and you have assurance that it will run fine.

0 Kudos
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks you very much

i didn't found my motherboard MSI and many friends told me this motherboard better.

i think this problem not about Motherboard or CPU as you said before its about NIC Card or embeded cards so i will buy Intel server NIC Card to try install ESX again and i will disable Built in most cards but if i found same problem i don't know what can i do after that?

0 Kudos
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

after reviewing this link

http://vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php

i found my motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R in Giabyte section ( last model )

i think now its supported and this problem about NIC Card  right ?

0 Kudos
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i found this link aslo about the same motherboard

http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2044

anybody can help me ?

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,
The official HCL is on this link:
The HCL on VM-Help site is an unofficial whitebox HCL, where the forum users share their experiences with unsupported hardware.
So, if you don't find the motherboard on the official HCL, the motherboard is still unsupported by VMware.  However, some users have been capable of install some version of ESX or ESXi.
On this link an user was capable to install  ESXi 4.0U1 using that motherboard with a Intel NIC:
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Follow the thread at

http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2044

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

That thread lists 2 Intel NICs and settings you must enable in the BIOS. You will get the most help from following those directions.

0 Kudos
alahwany
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you very much my friends for your help and links

after reviewing these links i will buy firstNIC Card  Intel Pro/1000 GT

and make Sata mode: AHCI -> ich sata control mode = ahci in bios -> integrated peripherals
virtualization technology: enabled in bios -> advanced cpu features in bios

i will back again here after receiving my NIC Card and testing i wish to fix this problem.

again thank you very much for all your help and all information really i'm very happy for this help here

and thank you ver much  Eng.DSTAVERT and Eng. pcerda for your reply to me and help me.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Very welcome. Glad to help.

0 Kudos