VMware Cloud Community
nkbaumer
Contributor
Contributor

Perf Charts service experienced and internal error.

Last week I successfully upgraded my test cluster from 3.5

to vSphere 4.0 and everything works normally with one exception. For every host

and VM the performance overview tab displays the error (see attached), “*Perf Charts service experienced and

internal error. Message: Report application initialization is not completed

successfully. Retry in 60 seconds*.” I have looked everywhere for clues but

so far nothing has come up.

Here’s some background information:

I have a mixed environment with 2-ESX 4 hosts and 7-ESX 3.5

hosts.

VirtualCenter was installed without any errors and all old

VC services were stopped prior to running the install.

VirtualCenter has its DB off box running SQL 2005 using NON-default ports. I have found

which addresses a different Perf Overview error by changing the SQL ports to

default which I can’t do. I really hope this isn’t the fix and it’s a terrible

workaround.

The Apache Tomcat service is starting normally and adjusting

the memory pool hasn’t made a difference.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
thro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just in the process of upgrading myself, and am experiencing the same error. Everything else works so far (am up to step 5 on the vSphere upgrade guide, but the overview barfs with the internal error....

I use/administer: ESX 3.5 | VirtualCenter 2.5 | Workstation 6.5 | Vmware Server 2.0 | Windows 2003 | FreeBSD | Redhat EL

I use/administer: vSphere 6.0 (ESXi) | Workstation 12.5 | Vmware Server 2.0 | Vmware Fusion 12.5 | Windows | FreeBSD | Redhat EL
0 Kudos
thro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mine has since fixed itself (maybe after a virtualcenter reboot - to upgrade vm tools).

I use/administer: vSphere 4 (ESX) | Workstation 6.5 | Vmware Server 2.0 | Windows 2003 | FreeBSD | Redhat EL

I use/administer: vSphere 6.0 (ESXi) | Workstation 12.5 | Vmware Server 2.0 | Vmware Fusion 12.5 | Windows | FreeBSD | Redhat EL
0 Kudos
nkbaumer
Contributor
Contributor

For those out there like me who find all sorts of great answers from the community I have found the solution to my original problem. The short answer is that the error has everything to do with the ports SQL is using.

I moved the database for our test VM infrastructure to a new server that was using default ports and the problem magically resolved itself. However, our production farm DB still does not use the default port and charts continue to error.

If anyone knows a way to configure VirtualCenter to use different ports for the charts please let me know.

Thanks, Nick

0 Kudos
sa3rzpost
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I had the same problem.

I'm using SQL2005 DB and Non-standard ports.

You have to add the following line to the file "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\webapps\statsreport\META-INF\context.xml" on vCenter server and restart the "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices" service:

url="jdbc:sqlserver://[serverName[\instanceName][:portNumber]];integratedSecurity={true|false}"

The file should looks like this:

<Resource auth="Container"

name="jdbc/StatsDS"

url="jdbc:sqlserver://vcenterssqlserver:9876;integratedSecurity=false"

type="javax.sql.DataSource"

factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"

initialSize="3"

Best regards

SA3

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried to change the line in content.xml, but it didn't help must:(

Our firewall dude noticed that UDP port 1434 was blocked in the firewall.

Opened this port between the VC server and SQL server, and the Overview charts works:)

This is of course if you have a firewall between these servers.

This is for your information:)

0 Kudos