VMware Cloud Community
tryandfindit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Password won't work via url - but does work directly at the console

I have a new Dell T350, I have installed VMWare ESXI 7, updated it to 7.0.3, added all available patches via lifecycle....

I initially had NO PASSWORD for the root account when I installed and setup the system,

I could not login to the url path nor ssh, but I could to the direct console,

I saw that I needed a more complex password, so I changed the password to match the criteria required.

*--------$ - inbetween there are (2) numbers, (2) uppercase letters, (2) lowercase letters, (2) special characters

thought this would help, but now I can login to the console, but still not login to the ssh or url path.

I changed the password again, still same results.

I use Chrome, but have tried Firefox and Edge, still same results.

I must be missing something? I have searched your database and google, but no answers yet.

Can someone help me figure this out?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tryandfindit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, so I have been in this field for over 30 years, 

this one takes the cake!!!

1. I have a new Dell T350, I have installed VMWare ESXI 7, updated it to 7.0.3, NO VCenter

I could logon at the console, but not via ssh or url - I tried resetting passwords, same results. I re-installed the ESXI 7 and set a new password, I had the same results - console worked, ssh & url did not.

I decided to take a break and bring my dog out in the snow, thought she would stick around, but of course not, ran away. I finally got her back and came back inside.

I tried switching keyboards, yeah I was ready to try anything at this point.

I had a Logitech wireless keyboard that I use for my other laptop, plugged that in and the password wouldn't work at any location, NOT console, NOT url, NOT ssh. I checked to make sure the setting were correct, rebooted a few times, etc....

I switched back to the original lenovo wired keyboard and I could then logon to the console, but not url or ssh

Believe it or now, this was the fix:

I logged on to the console with the lenovo keyboard, and went to change the password, entered in the "old" password

THEN, I switched keyboards to my wireless logitech keyboard - entered the new password twice.

logged off, logged back on - SUCCESS!

went to my laptop, open the url, using the keyboard on my Dell laptop was able to logon - SUCCESS

from my dell laptop I openned up putty, entered the ssh ip address and was able to logon - SUCCESS

I couldn''t believe it, so I switched by to my lenovo keyboard, and I could logon to the console, but not url or ssh.

So, the moral of the story is "if you have an old lenovo wired keyboard hanging around.... SMASH IT"

***** now I registered my VMs and the Status says "invalid"

**** so, I have to go figure that out...

thank you all for reading all this and all the help you have provided

tfi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Never seen something like this. 

Reinstall ESXi again and setup the proper password: VMware1! 

should be solved.

0 Kudos
tryandfindit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

will this wipe out my VMs that I have created?

thanks for getting back to me.

TFI
0 Kudos
tryandfindit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, so I have been in this field for over 30 years, 

this one takes the cake!!!

1. I have a new Dell T350, I have installed VMWare ESXI 7, updated it to 7.0.3, NO VCenter

I could logon at the console, but not via ssh or url - I tried resetting passwords, same results. I re-installed the ESXI 7 and set a new password, I had the same results - console worked, ssh & url did not.

I decided to take a break and bring my dog out in the snow, thought she would stick around, but of course not, ran away. I finally got her back and came back inside.

I tried switching keyboards, yeah I was ready to try anything at this point.

I had a Logitech wireless keyboard that I use for my other laptop, plugged that in and the password wouldn't work at any location, NOT console, NOT url, NOT ssh. I checked to make sure the setting were correct, rebooted a few times, etc....

I switched back to the original lenovo wired keyboard and I could then logon to the console, but not url or ssh

Believe it or now, this was the fix:

I logged on to the console with the lenovo keyboard, and went to change the password, entered in the "old" password

THEN, I switched keyboards to my wireless logitech keyboard - entered the new password twice.

logged off, logged back on - SUCCESS!

went to my laptop, open the url, using the keyboard on my Dell laptop was able to logon - SUCCESS

from my dell laptop I openned up putty, entered the ssh ip address and was able to logon - SUCCESS

I couldn''t believe it, so I switched by to my lenovo keyboard, and I could logon to the console, but not url or ssh.

So, the moral of the story is "if you have an old lenovo wired keyboard hanging around.... SMASH IT"

***** now I registered my VMs and the Status says "invalid"

**** so, I have to go figure that out...

thank you all for reading all this and all the help you have provided

tfi

0 Kudos