VMware Cloud Community
aalborz02
Contributor
Contributor

Partitioning, Performance, and Replication/Migration Questions

Installing a brand new vSphere. Server has 8x300GB local storage, grouped in 2 sets of RAID 5, and 32GB RAM.

Not knowing how many VMs will eventually be hosted on it, my questions are:

1- What is the best partition configuration? I've read the best practices, so I'm familiar in general, but in particular I want to know the size of /swap partition. I've read somewhere to allocated 8GB, while other places it's recommended to do 1600MB max.

2- This server is primarily (and initially) will be used in a DR site. Is there a specific configuration that will optimize the data protection, as opposed to performance? And if later on it's used a production server, will I be able to do the configuration switch easily?

3- We have ESX 3.x & 2.x host in-house and we have a 100MB pipe between our facility and DR site. Is there an easy way to migrate/replicate those with VMs on them to the DR site?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Installing a brand new vSphere. Server has 8x300GB local storage, grouped in 2 sets of RAID 5, and 32GB RAM.

Not knowing how many VMs will eventually be hosted on it, my questions are:

Why 2 sets? You can do more by increasing your spindles, and splitting the RAID on 4 disks instead of a big RAID on 8 disks will essentially mean you are losing 600GB of space, and less IO as a result.

If you setup a RAID 5, that's 2.4TB. Losing 1 disk for parity. That's 2.1TB, you could allocate say 200GB to ESX install, and leave the rest for datastore, and you don't need to split the RAID. Then keep the performance gain of 8 disks.

but in particular I want to know the size of /swap partition. I've read somewhere to allocated 8GB, while other places it's recommended to do 1600MB max.

Swap is for the ESX CONSOLE, not the server. If you run ESXi you don't need swap AT ALL. So this should be default, increasing it to 1600 is a waste, you will probably never run anything IN the console anyway, so no reason for swap.

This server is primarily (and initially) will be used in a DR site. Is there a specific configuration that will optimize the data protection, as opposed to performance? And if later on it's used a production server, will I be able to do the configuration switch easily?

Once you configure it, that's it. To reconfigure means moving VM's and starting over.

We have ESX 3.x & 2.x host in-house and we have a 100MB pipe between our facility and DR site. Is there an easy way to migrate/replicate those with VMs on them to the DR site?

there is but that is a very slow pipe. WE are talking MAX 10Mb/s speed transfer, and for a 30GB file you are looking at around 2-3 hours to transfer. That's if you only transfer one file at a time... so yes there are ways to migrate / replicate but there are much better 3rd party tools to do this, like VizionCore or Veeam.

aalborz02
Contributor
Contributor

I should have been more specific:

There are 2 SAS arrays on the server, each for 4 hard drives, hence having RAID on 4 disks.

Yes

the swap partition is for the ESX Console. I'll be running ESX, not

ESXi. So what should be the partition size for it and not wasting any

space?

I also read that since ESX 4.0 uses VMDK for COS partitions, I need to have 2 virtual disks in my RAID controller; one for "system file" and one for "big" VMFS.

Any idea how would I do that?

TIA

0 Kudos
aalborz02
Contributor
Contributor

Disregard the 2 SAS arrays comment...I was able to create 1 big array w. RAID 5.

However I just noticed the CD I have is for ESX 4i. When I tried to install, it didn't give me a chance to customize the partitions.

It also tells me I have 60 days to use it. Is that because it's an ESXi installation CD, not ESX?

I have the license key, so I thought as long as I have the license key, I would be able to turn ESXi to ESX. Am I wrong?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ESX(i) 4.1 was just released a while ago, so you should grab the latest installer.

When you first install ESX(i) you get a 60-day trial with all features activated. After you install your license key the 60-day timer will go away and you'll be able to use only the features you are licensed for.

ESX and ESXi are different, so if you are sure that you want to use ESX then you'll need to grab the ESX-specific install ISO. However, unless you have a specific reason to run ESX, I suggest installing ESXi as that is the way of the VMware future... (ESX is being phased out in a future release).

0 Kudos
aalborz02
Contributor
Contributor

Scissor,

I have ESXi 4.0 SP1. The only reason for using ESX was being able to manage it thru VC Server.

This is the first time I'm hearing about ESX being phased out. I thought ESXi was the free version of ESX.

0 Kudos
sysxperts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi is also manageable through vCenter and while there is a free version you must have paid version to take advantage of the advanced features

Paul Valentino - VCP, EMCCA - @sysxperts @vcommunitytrust - Help the vCommunity one certification at a time! http://www.vcommunitytrust.org/ http://igg.me/p/212476?a=1091980
0 Kudos
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would recommend ESXi. I'm in the middle of a year-long migration of dozens of hosts from ESX 3.5 to ESXi 4.x. ESXi is fast and easy to install and configure. You don't even have to worry about partitions, it has a much smaller disk footprint, leaving more room on your local disks for VMs. I've found no downsides. After 4.1 there will be no ESX.

You can get a free license for ESXi, meant for SMB and hobbyists. However, if you simply add a purchased license key of the various tiers, it can then be managed by vCenter. Very straightforward.

rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

the swap partition is for the ESX Console. I'll be running ESX, not

ESXi. So what should be the partition size for it and not wasting any

space?

I would actually recommend setting it to 1600 MB if you will be using ESX.

Vmware is recommending that the swap should be the double size of the RAM given to the Service Console, default 300 MB. My point is that if you set the /swap to 1600 it will always be correct. You will most likely not run much stuff in the SC and you will definitly not want it to actually ever use the swap, but by having a 1600 MB swap area it will still be "correctly" sized even if you for some reason have to increase the RAM to the SC and no one could ever say that your config is not really correct.

Yes, the 1 GB extra of disk space will in practise be wasted, but it is a quite small part on a modern disk and should be worth it.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos