VMware Cloud Community
dinakeano
Contributor
Contributor

PSC and maximum VMware solutions

What is meant with a maximum of 10 VMware solutions in 1 vSphere domain. We have 10 Virtual Centers, 10 SRM servers and also 2 servers for VRealize Operations manager. Is this 22 solutions or 3 solutions? And what happens when you go over the limit?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Dinakeano,

What exactly are you trying to do here?

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
dinakeano
Contributor
Contributor

I have 5 different zones and in each zone I have 2 Virtual Centers with SRM . Now I want to create one VSphere domain with 2 PSC external , with all those Virtual Center appliances and SRM-servers, so I can manage them all in one pane glass + central management for my templates + licenses.

But I see there is a maximum of 10 VMware solutions so my question is can I put 10 VCSA and 10 SRM-servers in one vsphere domain?

0 Kudos
flynmooney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am in a similar boat with 9 vCenters and vCAC environments with test, prod.  From this it adds up to 11 solutions.  We were planning on a single domain until I started digging into the documentation.  Now it looks like we'll be implementing 3 different domains to try and future proof any more expansion.

From a couple of blogs it is my understanding that a solution is an instance of a single vCenter and all of the associated components or an instance of  vRA (Realize Automation).

vSphere Datacenter Design – vCenter Architecture Changes in vSphere 6.0 – Part 2 | VMware Consulting...

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have some difficulties to understand exactly what is the better configuration. The limits seems really small.

So at the end it's possible to put only 4 solution on a single PSC. To add more solution I need a second PSC but I cannot have more then 10 Solution on a single Domain. I can have multiple site but there still cannot be more then 10 Solution in total.

At this point as SRM now use PSC should it be considered a solution for itself or it's considered inside vCenter?

How vROPS will be considered when the new version with SSO integration will be out ? A separate solution like vRA?

What about other products like Log Insight or a single vRO?

A total limit of 10 seems a bit small for an organization that want to have a "shared" configuration in which al vCenter/solution are interoperable. Is that a hard limit, a suggestion or a supported configuration?

Can different domain be joined toghether?

0 Kudos
flynmooney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right from the configuration maximums document it says:

Enhanced Linked Mode/Lookup Service

Maximum number of VMware Solutions connected to a single PSC 4

This limit is based on the test performed using only vCenter

Server.

From this I can only assume the reason for the limits are performance based and it says this was only done with vCenter so then like you ask how would different products affect this size?  Can you use more of them or less?  This is quite confusing and I agree it seems small.

0 Kudos
vJeff
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From the latest vSphere 6 Configuration Maximum's Guide....

"A VMware Solution is defined as a product that creates a Machine Account and one or more Solution User (a collection of vSphere services) within the VMware Directory Service when the product is joined to the PSC, thus the vSphere Domain. The Machine Account and Solution User(s) are used to broker and secure communication between other Solutions available within the vSphere environment. In order to count against these maximums, the Machine Account and Solution Users must be fully integrated with all of the PSC's available feature sets (Identity Management and Authentication Brokering, Certificate Management, Licensing, etc.) such that the product makes full use of the PSC. At this time, only vCenter Server is defined as a fully integrated solution and counts against these maximums. Partially integrated solutions, such as vCenter Site Recovery Manager, vCloud Director vRealize Orchestrator, vRealize Automation Center, and vRealize Operations, do not count against these defined maximums ." -page 19

So in your situation each of your vCenters counts as 1 solution each, however vCenter Site Recovery Manager and vRealize Operations don't count because they are only partially integrated solutions.   So you would have 10 VMware Solutions in your configuration.

0 Kudos
sdebarros
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello vJeff.

I have looked in the config Max document you mentioned. page 19 and that quote is not there.

I have also checked the installation manual and nothing..

Can you confirm which document you are referring to, for that definition.

Thanks..

0 Kudos
vJeff
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Here is the link to the document and I've also attached a copy.

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere6/r60/vsphere-60-configuration-maximums.pdf

0 Kudos
sdebarros
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a ton..

I just realized i am 1 revision behind..

You have a great day

0 Kudos