VMware Cloud Community
MBordelon
Contributor
Contributor

Organizing VM's into folders/groups?

I created our Vsphere test environment months ago and I remember having the vm's organized into folders/groups. I recently powered the host machine on after moving it to a new location and now all of the vm's are in the same folder/group. My problem is that i cannot seem to figure out how I created the folders the first time. I know this is something simple but, I don't see anything in the manual that explains how to do this. Can one of you give me the procedure for this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander

What all changed when you moved the host?

You can create folders by going to Home->Inventory->VMs and Templates then right clicking in the left pane then select New Folder.

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
MBordelon
Contributor
Contributor

What changed is the IP address of the host. Which in turn changed the name of the host and apparently lost the datastore. Is it normal to lose the data store if the name of the host is changed?

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is it normal to lose the data store if the name of the host is changed?

No this is not normal, there must be another cause for the host to loose the datastore.

What Storage are you using?

Regarding the Folders, do you have a VCenter installed or are you connected straight to the host?

In VCenter you can create folders under the "Hosts and Clusters" tab to sort all your hosts. All VMs on those hosts will display in that single folder.

If you go to the "VMs and Templates" View, that is where you can create folders and move VMs to difrent folders (Hosts is not visible in this view)

Regards

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

MBordelon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help. I was able to connect to the host using a different vcenter and create the folders i needed.

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That is good news

Please mark the tread as answered and feel free to award points to those that have been helpfull/correct

Happy Virtualizing Smiley Wink

0 Kudos