VMware Cloud Community
KMEStephan
Contributor
Contributor

Operation "Create standalone instance VMwareVCMSDS" failed: : Action: Create Standalone Instance

Dear all I'm new at this so hopefully i give al the right information in this post.

I'm upgrading our vmware virtual center server version 2.5 to vCenter Server 4.1

We now run Virtual Center server on a 32 bit windows 2003 server with MS SQL 2005 express version locally installed.

We have created a new 64 bit windows 2008 server with MS SQl 2005 express.

I have run the install.bat from the datamigration folder as discribed in the vSphere Upgrade Guide ESX 4.1/ESXi 4.1 vCenter server 4.1 vSphere clietn 4.1.

After the installation of vCenter server 4.1 was finished, page 40 step 16 of vSphere Upgrade Guide ESX/ESXi 4.1, we run into the following error:

vCenter Server LDAP recovery operation failed. Fix the errors in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\status.txt and then execute C:\Install\VMware\datamigration\data\vc\recover.bat in order to restore LDAP from database

I have attached the restore.log and also the Status.txt and jointool-0.log

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Check out kb 1015887 - maybe your password has spaces or special characters?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
KMEStephan
Contributor
Contributor

Dear vmroyal, thanks for your information but if you have a look into the jointool-0.log the error I get is different then the one's mentioned in this article.

See here my jointool-0.log

JoinTool started

Storage directory for LDAP instance: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\VMwareVCMSDS

Operation Mode: initialize

Creating directory services instance VMwareVCMSDS

LDAP port = 389

Base DN = dc=virtualcenter,dc=vmware,dc=int

Storage dir = C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\VMwareVCMSDS

Creation complete

Resetting VC LDAP service SSL port

Service 'VMwareVCMSDS' is running

STOP_SERVICE of 'VMwareVCMSDS' successful

START_SERVICE of 'VMwareVCMSDS' successful

Importing "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\ldif\vc_schema.ldf". Host: 127.0.0.1; Port: 389

Import complete

Importing "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\ldif\vc_config.ldf". Host: 127.0.0.1; Port: 389

Import complete

Importing "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\ldif\vc_init.ldf". Host: 127.0.0.1; Port: 389

Import complete

Importing "C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\1\vpx-instance96111677350467061.ldif". Host: 127.0.0.1; Port: 389

Import complete

All IP addresses for :127.0.0.1 :

IP: /127.0.0.1

All IP addresses for :::1 :

IP: /0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Operation "Create standalone instance VMwareVCMSDS" failed: : Action: Create Standalone Instance

Action: Migrate extension privleges from database to LDAP

java.sql.SQLException: [ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid string or buffer length

Recovering from failed Operation "Create standalone instance VMwareVCMSDS"

Removing directory services instance VMwareVCMSDS

Removal complete

Recovery successful

Execution error.

Does anyone have any idea's about this error, everythingh before looks ok

Thanks

0 Kudos
nkbaumer
Contributor
Contributor

Stephan,

Have you had any resolution to your error? My attempt to link VC's failed with the exact same error message. So far the only thing I can find online is this unanswered post.

Additional Info: One of my VirtualCenters recognizes the linked mode configuration. When I connect to the first VC I get just see it's own datacenter. When connecting to the second VC I see both in a linked mode configuration. Both VC's are 2K8 running vSphere 4.1.

Thanks, Nick

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Can you have a look at the below?

•vCenter Server installation on Windows Server 2008 with a remote SQL Server database fails in some circumstances

If you install vCenter Server on Windows Server 2008, by using a remote SQL Server database with Windows authentication for SQL Server, and a domain user for the DSN that is different from the vCenter Server system login, the installation does not proceed, and the installer displays the following error message:

25003.Setup failed to create the vCenter repository

Workaround: In these circumstances, use the same login credentials for vCenter Server and for the SQL Server DSN.

•vCenter Server installation fails on Windows Server 2008 when using a non-system user account

When you specify a non-system user during installation, vCenter Server installation fails with the following error message:

Failure to create vCenter repository

Workaround: On the system where vCenter Server is being installed, turn off the User Account Control option under Control Panel > User Accounts before you install vCenter Server. Specify the non-system user during vCenter Server installation.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
nkbaumer
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the input but neither of these scenarios apply to our environment.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would suggest that you create a new discussion and outline your issue in as much detail as you can including what you may have done to resolve the issue. You can add a link to to this discussion.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos