VMware Cloud Community
atle2
Contributor
Contributor

Open console with vSphere Client on Windows 8

Hi,

I have upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8 (Consumer Preview). The vSphere Client (5.0.0) seems to work, but I get an error when I try to open the console screen on a VM (like in right click the VM and choose Open Console). The error message is:

The VMRC console disconnected...attempting to reconnect.

I have tried to reinstall the vSphere Client (I had to run the setup file in Windows 7 compatibility mode), and I have tried to run as administrator and in compatibility mode, but no luck.

Does anyone have a clue?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Might be below problem

If you have a web cam in the guest computer that runs the cSphere client then

--> kill the proces called "fixCamera.exe".

--> stop the host server

--> close the vSphere client.

--> open it again and try again

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
atle2
Contributor
Contributor

I do have a webcam on the laptop, but there are no process called "fixCamera.exe" (probably for a different webcam).

Does this work at all in Windows 8 for someone?

0 Kudos
Anajera20111014
Contributor
Contributor

I have te same problem in windows 8 and vsphere client 5 (with vsphere client 4.1 works fine), check de firewall configuration maybe it is blocking the connection between vcenter and vsphere client.

0 Kudos
tiberias70
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem I try without firewall antivirus it's the same the issue persist.

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem still exists in client build 755629.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

0 Kudos
tiberias70
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem with the 5.1 client, no choice you can use the web console, in fact for the next version of vmware 5.1 the viclient no longuer exist.

0 Kudos
atle2
Contributor
Contributor

It works for me now. I have Windows 8 build 9200, vSphere client 5.1.0 build 786111 and vCenter server 5.1.0 build 880146.

It was not enough to upgrade the client, you must also upgrade the vCenter server. I have not upgraded the ESXi-hosts yet, so that was not necessary.

Atle

0 Kudos
tiberias70
Contributor
Contributor

You can use VGC to open console in vcenter 5.0 or 4.X you can use also vmware workstation.

http://labs.vmware.com/flings/vgc

0 Kudos
vduvernet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

haven't you tried with compatibility mode ?

Follow this article (which works for me) :

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2012/09/how-to-install-vmware-vsphere-client-on-windows-8/

Vincent

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just FYI VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-913577 works in Win8 (both install and console work OK).

0 Kudos