VMware Cloud Community
Brett2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No schema found. please initialize database

I am setting up a new Vcenter server. I am at the database connection portion of the install.

I am connecting to an MS SQL database and I have a successful connection but it states, " No schema found. please initialize database"

I am not sure where to go now. Any suggestions?

Also note that when I started the install of the vcenter, I chose MS SQL express instead of using a regular sql instance on an actual SQL server. Should I uninstall/reinstall and choose an sql instance?

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To install vCenter on a custom database, you will have to create a DSN and then use that while insalling.

Open "ODBC datasource adminstrator" from "Administrative tools".

Create the DSN to use the database that you have created for vCenter.

Start the installation of vCenter and select the option to use a custom database from the installer.

Select the DSN that you have created and complete the installation.

Before performing these steps, you uninstall the existing VC which is installed on express edition. Make sure to remove the DSN before starting the new installation.

Also please refer http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

Hope this helps.

-Sandeep

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmarRaghu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you explain a little further ?

Did installation go through fine ? or Is this an install time problem ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To install vCenter on a custom database, you will have to create a DSN and then use that while insalling.

Open "ODBC datasource adminstrator" from "Administrative tools".

Create the DSN to use the database that you have created for vCenter.

Start the installation of vCenter and select the option to use a custom database from the installer.

Select the DSN that you have created and complete the installation.

Before performing these steps, you uninstall the existing VC which is installed on express edition. Make sure to remove the DSN before starting the new installation.

Also please refer http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

Hope this helps.

-Sandeep

0 Kudos