VMware Cloud Community
rpilot777
Contributor
Contributor

Newly deployed PSC appliance setup is stuck at 40%

Hello all,

Will appreciate any ideas on how to resolve the following issue:

I'm deploying first PSC appliance on the newly build 6.5 ESXi. No other VMs are deployed at the moment. ESXi host has plenty of resources. The first stage completed OK. VM is deployed, but the second stage (configuring) stuck on 40% at "Starting VMware Component Manager..." (see the screenshot).

PSC, host's vmkernel, NTP, DNS are all in the same subnet. All prerequisits for PSC are in place.

The VCSA image I'm using is the latest: 2018-01-09 | 6.5.0U1e | 3.31 GB | iso

Tags (3)
11 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have functional forward and reverse DNS? Are you certain that NTP is in use and time is synchronized between the PSC appliance being deployed, the workstation from which you're running the wizard, and the target ESXi host onto which it is being deployed? If yes, please show screenshots which display all the input values you are using.

0 Kudos
Mathieu_C
Contributor
Contributor

Open the console of the VM deployed and check the error, generally an issue of DNS, NTP or DHCP (very sensible) !

0 Kudos
Strickler2210
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same thing, but it's stopping at 60%. Tried again and it stopped at 66% starting services.

DNS forward and reverse are fine.

Using the same 6.5U1e image.

Did you ever resolve this?

0 Kudos
Strickler2210
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I went back to 6.5f before update 1. I was able to get through the complete deployment of the PSC.

What's interesting is that after it was to 50% to 60% complete on stage 2 of the configuration. A session expired popped up. I re-entered by root password and bam... It completed successfully. I'm wondering if there is some sort of session timeout issue in the Update 1 iso that isn't popping up like what happened in 6.5f iso.

I do have a support case open about this. Waiting to hear back.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is the version of the destination ESXi host on which you tried to deploy the PSC? Can you show screenshots of your installation? Usually when it fails at this point, there is something that's either wrong in the infrastructure or in the values provided.

0 Kudos
Strickler2210
Contributor
Contributor

I found my issue. The new hosts that were built with 6.5 U1e did not have NTP running. This caused the config setup to stop at 60% (session timed out). Doh! This was even after I used static NTP during the config process of the PSC.

Lesson learned make sure your hosts have NTP configured and running before trying to build your vsphere environment.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

And that's what I thought Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rpilot777
Contributor
Contributor

Not my case. ESX and PSC are pointed to the AD DC which is on the same subnet and working fine...

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is the exact filename of the ISO file you're using? Can you verify forward and reverse DNS lookups return the correct name and IP?

0 Kudos
rpilot777
Contributor
Contributor

I've re-deployed the appliance and performed the setup without issues this time. Thanks for those who tried to help!

0 Kudos
_steez
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue with vCSA 6.7 where stage 2 deployment would not go beyond 60% mark and crash at starting vCSA service or something. What helped me was when the stage 1 was done I quit the installer and continued from the web interface. For some reason it was way faster and installed just great.

0 Kudos