VMware Cloud Community
Cbaur88
Contributor
Contributor

New vCenter Server

Hi folks forgive me ahead of time as I am fairly new to vmware world but have some experience with it and really like it. Anyways in short I've got 3 ESXi hosts one of them hosting a virtual machine which is running vCenter. My question is can I create a brand new virtual machine and install vCenter on it and easily connect all my hosts to it to I can manage? Do away with the current server that's running vCenter?

My main problem is that I am trying to upgrade update manager and I get all sorts of errors about SQL Server. This server is an older server and has SQL version of 2005 and also 2008 R2 Express on it. I also tried to update vCenter to 5.1 but get a bunch of errors that are difficult to troubleshoot. So my thinking was start fresh but didn't know how difficult it was to do.Below is some info:

ESXi hosts versions 5.0.0, 1311175

vCenter Version 5.0.0, 37933

Update Manager 5.0.0, 11856

Thanks so much in advance for your time and help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You should have no issues with what you plane to do - you can set up a brand new vcenter server and add the ESXi hosts to the new environment - to make it a clean transition do not forget to remove the ESXi host form the old environment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Cbaur88
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks weinstein, will give it a try!

0 Kudos