VMware Cloud Community
direclynxnet
Contributor
Contributor

New installation of ESXi 5.1 will not connect with static IP

I have freshly installed 5.1 on a server that was previously running 4.  It worked fine on 4 but now I cannot get it to connect to our outside network using a static IP.  If I connect the same card using the same cord to our inside network and have it use DHCP, it obtains an IP and works fine.  Any idea what might cause this?

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

if the network adapter works with DHCP it should also work with static IP addressing!? Please double-check all the network settings lie IP address, subnet mask as well as the default gateway for the Management Network.

André

0 Kudos
direclynxnet
Contributor
Contributor

That's what I figured.  Double checked the gateway and even made sure the subnet mask was the same as my other servers.  They all work correctly, this one doesn't.

0 Kudos
MBrownWFP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the correct NIC port designated for management?

0 Kudos
irshadm4u
Contributor
Contributor

Please share the NIC Model no and firmware version details

0 Kudos
swatsson
Contributor
Contributor

Few things I can think of:

1. Verify IP settings - Assign the same IP/mask/gateway details to another machine and verify outside network is accessible

2. DNS issues - see if you can ping a global DNS server, 4.2.2.2. If this works, then the issue is with DNS

3. Virtual connectivity: verify the vmnic of the management vmkernel port. Ensure that the vmknic  is connected to the same vmnic where you have external connectivity, also ensure that vlan and mtu details of the vswitch are proper

4. Physical connectivity: If possible, remove the cable from your ESX, connect to a PC, set the IP details and ensure outside network is accessible

If none of these are able to isolate the issues, then it could be that your server or NIC specifically is not supported by ESXi 5.1. Verify the HCL for this.