VMware Cloud Community
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New install of vCenter fails

Hi, appolgis if this is actually answered elsewhere, I just cant locate it.

I am unable to find a fix for this issue, athough there are plenty of posts but none of the suggested fixes work.

I am installing a fresh install of vCenter 5.5 with SSO, Web CLient & Inventory, I have been using the simple install option.

When the vCenter install comes to the end I get the error dialog popup that the installation was interrupted before VMware vCenter could be completed successfully. check the logs....

Capture3.PNG

on inspecting the logs it seem that tomcat cannot start:

from vminst.log:

VMware VirtualCenter-build-3000241: 09/30/15 17:29:43 StartSrvc::ERROR_SERVICE_DEPENDENCY_FAIL The service depends on another service that has failed to start Error: 1068

VMware VirtualCenter-build-3000241: 09/30/15 17:29:43 StartSrvc::done Res: 0

VMware VirtualCenter-build-3000241: 09/30/15 17:29:43 Could not start service.

VMware VirtualCenter-build-3000241: 09/30/15 17:29:43 Srvc_StartService::vctomcat service NOT STARTED Error: 1068

VMware VirtualCenter-build-3000241: 09/30/15 17:29:43 StartServices::done ret: 1603

Server OS, win 2012R2, SQL DB SQL 2014. database installs correctly.

I have seen posts that say use the JRE to correctly point to the Java DLL but I am unable to locate the application.

Any help would be appreciated as if I had hair it would have been pulled out by now.

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you review the log file vim-vcs-msi.log in %temp%  folder and paste any error seen in that file

0 Kudos
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI Techie01,  thanks for replying,

in the log I have:

CustomAction VM_StartTomcatImmediate returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 17:29:43: VM_StartTomcatImmediate. Return value 3.

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:29:43:843]: Doing action: SetupCompleteError

Action 17:29:43: SetupCompleteError.

Action start 17:29:43: SetupCompleteError.

Action 17:29:43: SetupCompleteError. Dialog created

then a few lines down

Action ended 17:30:23: SetupCompleteError. Return value 2.

At the end of the log:

=== Logging stopped: 30/09/2015  17:30:24 ===

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:092]: Note: 1: 1708

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:093]: Product: VMware vCenter Server -- Installation operation failed.

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:094]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: VMware vCenter Server. Product Version: 5.5.0.45462. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: VMware, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:095]: Attempting to delete file C:\Users\SVC_VC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\1e0b78.mst

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:096]: Unable to delete the file. LastError = 32

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:180]: Grabbed execution mutex.

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:180]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:185]: Attempting to delete file C:\Users\SVC_VC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\1e0b78.mst

MSI (c) (74:B0) [17:30:24:187]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603

=== Verbose logging stopped: 30/09/2015  17:30:24 ===

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks MKBA, I did find that one and Protected storage is not on WIn2012R2 and not set as a dependency.

I've been trying on and off today and am currently rebuilding the server from scratch as it now appears to be in a "state"

I'll see how this goes

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Turns out I have two issues.

There were SQL authentication issues with a table in the Master DB; and

There was an event forwarding service listening on 8089, that vSphere wants to use.

after sorting out the DB issues, I was able to narrow down the Web starting issue and the services now start.

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
chaithu4u
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With vSphere 6.0, we have introduced deployment models and Platform Services Controllers. There are two deployment models:

• Embedded Deployment Model:
    • vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller
  • External Deployment Model:
    • External Platform Services Controller.
    • vCenter Server with external Platform Services controller.

For more information about when to use the external or embedded deployment models, see vCenter Server Deployment Models. Warning: Although the installation can complete successfully, some resulting topologies may not be recommended by VMware. For a list of recommended topologies and mitigation steps, see List of recommended topologies for vSphere 6.0.x (2108548).Warning: If you decide on an external model, the installation must be done sequentially starting with the platform services controllers, not concurrently.If you have used vSphere 5.x you may be familiar with some services that were previously deployed independently of vCenter Server. For more information about how the vSphere 5.x services map to the new vSphere 6.0 servers, see Migration of Distributed vCenter Server for Windows Services During Upgrade to vCenter Server 6.0 in our documentation.For further related installation information,see the vCenter Server 6.0 documentation subtopics:

vCenter Server for Windows Requirements

To install vCenter Server on a Windows virtual machine or physical server, your system must meet specific hardware and software requirements. For more information, see also following related Prerequisites.

vCenter Server Appliance Requirements

The appliance upgrade process has changed significantly from the previous release. There is now an ISO file containing the appliance that can be downloaded. The ISO contains an installer that will deploy the appliance to a host running ESXi 5.1.x or later. The tool runs in a browser on a Microsoft Windows Platform. The tool requires the client integration plugin to function and therefore must meet it's requirements. For more information about installing the Client Integration Plug-in Software on your windows platform, see Install Client Integration Plug-in. For information about the appliance upgrade tool, see Upgrade the vCenter Server Appliance.Prior to installing vSphere 6.0, please ensure you have these requirements:

vSphere Web Client Software Requirements

Make sure that your browser supports the vSphere Web Client.
The vSphere Web Client 6.0 requires Adobe Flash Player 16 or later. The latest Adobe Flash Player version for Linux systems is 11.2. Therefore, the vSphere Web Client cannot run on Linux platforms.
VMware has tested and supports these guest operating systems and browser versions for the vSphere Web Client. For best performance, use Google Chrome.

Client Integration Plug-In Software Requirements

If you plan to install the Client Integration Plug-in separately from the vSphere Web Client so that you can connect to an ESXi host and deploy or upgrade the vCenter Server Appliance, make sure that your browser supports the Client Integration Plug-in.
To use the Client Integration Plug-in, verify that you have one of the supported Web browsers.

vSphere Client Requirements

You can install the vSphere Client to manage single ESXi host. The Windows system on which you install the vSphere Client must meet specific hardware and software requirements.

0 Kudos