VMware Cloud Community
MPCDI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New Windows 2008 R2 Server Fails vSphere Server Install with Error 1920

Band new install of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with all the updates.

Attempt to install vSphere Server 5.5 CU2 build 2183112.

Attempting the "Simple Install" or "Custom Install" I receive the following error when the Single Sign-On attempts to install.

"Error 1920. Service 'VMware Directory Service' (VMWareDirectoryService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

The Event Log shows the following which isn't much help.

"The VMware Directory Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I have re-downloaded the iso with the same result and even attempt to install CU1 but that also failed with the same error.

I've tried http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2069695 with the same failed results.

Install log is attached.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MPCDI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem has been fixed.

Hopefully this solution will help others as well (perhaps through a keyword search of Google/Bing)

Do not have Dell Host Integration Toolkit (I had 4.7.1) installed when performing an install/upgrade of Single Sign-On. After the VMWare software is install then you can install the Dell Host Integration Toolkit.

According to VMWare Support it's a known issue (internal documentation) and are looking to resolve it shortly.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

Are you doing the install with local administrator permissions? Sounds like you don't have permissions to create/alter services.

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
MPCDI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I'm logged in as the Domain/Local Admin with full admin rights.

Once the error pops up, I can go to the Services and see the 4 services that the install has created. They are all set to Automatic but not Started. When I attempt to start it I get the same error as teh Event Viewer shows.

0 Kudos
MPCDI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem has been fixed.

Hopefully this solution will help others as well (perhaps through a keyword search of Google/Bing)

Do not have Dell Host Integration Toolkit (I had 4.7.1) installed when performing an install/upgrade of Single Sign-On. After the VMWare software is install then you can install the Dell Host Integration Toolkit.

According to VMWare Support it's a known issue (internal documentation) and are looking to resolve it shortly.

LeslieBNS9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We installed Dell EqualLogic SAN Headquarters which came with Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Toolkit. After uninstalling vCenter installed fine.

0 Kudos
TMRIUSA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After scouring the forums for a fix this fixed my issue!!!  tytytytytyt

0 Kudos