VMware Cloud Community
runclear
Expert
Expert

New Features - Thoughts/Idea's?

So what new feature's do you think will be most benificial to your orginization?

I'm Most Interested in digging into

Host Profiles, Distributed Switches and "maybe" FT.... not so sure ill use FT ....

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
11 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

• Host profiles

• FT

• Distributed vSwitches

• The new GUI / Reports / Alarms, it rocks

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

*Alarms, from what i seen today, that looks like a nice addition, where VI3 was seriously lacking...

GUI - looks nice, i havent seen much of it until today - all of my begging and pleading with my vmware sales reps didnt get me far to try to get in the Beta program :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Check this VMTN blog post it contains several links to blog articles on alarms: http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2009/04/which-nic-is-my-vm-using-load-balancing-visibility-with-vsphere...

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I would be interested to implement FT for my critical SQL/Exchange servers if working as promoted Smiley Wink I've seen it demo looks great, also Host Profilers is kinda nice so you don't have to manually configure your ESX hosts or use kickstart script and UDA to build all your ESX hosts. I'm curious about the Nexus 1000v vNetwork Distributed Switches though! All hosts can community within a single vSwitch and we might be competing jobs with network engineer groups than Smiley Happy hopefully we play better in terms of networking in virtualization world. Overall, I think all features were very usefully but it comes with a price due to different versions.

This leads me to think where is Microsoft gonna stand at this point with Hyper_V R2 Smiley Happy that's a long way to go baby! Keep it up VMware !

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I must admit, vSphere kind of pickup up pieces of puzzles out there and combine with one great product, but the core features are seriously engineered and innovated though, i've just mentions storage vmotion, neverfail, host profilers types of deal such as Andrew Kutz, Neverfail, ECM Configuresoft products!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

During the webcast I was kind of shocked to them "touting svmotion" as a new feature, sure its now integrated into the GUI, but it just seemed to me as they were trying to "Sell it to the public as some New and really cool technology"... I guess this is needed though for the Marketing side of the house to "sell" it to the "big-wigs" ehh... id rather of heard more about the "NEW" features in the vSphere webcast rather than a feature that has been there for some time now.

0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert

Similar could be said about the excessive use of the current hype word - cloud... Good technology is still a 50% marketing excercise....

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
mastrboy
Contributor
Contributor

about new features, anyone got any info about SCSI-3? (For Windows 2008 Clustering)

This is not supported in 3.5 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From what I've read, vSphere should support Windows 2008 clustering from the initial release.

0 Kudos
jftwp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

• Storage Vmotion not new, but did someone say it's now integrated into the GUI/vCenter with 4.0

• Licensing is completely revamped/integrated with vCenter---think
    they got rid of Flex licensing/lic files to append and append and
    append to? That was pretty sucky.

• The new 'VCB' = "VMware Data Recovery"... this looks very, very
    cool per the datasheet anyway. Says that file level recovery is only
    available for Windows guests and is only 'experimental'. But we use
    Vizioncore Ranger for full image backups/restores and VCB would be a
    very good replacement for that if it works as promised at the entire VM
    image level. Ranger has worked well for us overall but it's time to
    move on to something a bit faster (off the network) which VDR would do
    for us---keep it entirely on the SAN as VCB did.

• High Availability looks good too, but requires dedicated
    GigE (totally separate from your vmotion/vmkernel network) and another
    footnote/caveat on this one is that (per the data sheet) this release
    will only support VMs with a single vcpu. That's kind of a
    drag/limitation(!) because when you think about it, your highest
    priority/critical VMs will in all likelihood have a couple of vCPUs if
    not 4 (SQL/Exhchange/etc)

Now I need to figure out which version of vSphere includes which features...

0 Kudos
Badsah
Expert
Expert

Moving to Upgrade & Install.

---

Badsah Mukherji

VMware Web Communities Team

--- Badsah Mukherji VMware Web Communities Team
0 Kudos