VMware Cloud Community
padulka
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Need to join existing vCenter infrastructure into Active Directory

Hi to all,

I try to explain this infrastructure disaster recovery environment vCenter 5.5 U3:

1 VM SSO

1 VM WebClient

1 VM vCenter & Inventory

1 VM Database

1 VM Site Recovery Manger

all VM are working in workgroup and they resolve hostname with hosts file. I need to join all VM in a domain active directory and I think I will have some problem with self-signed certificate.

I don't find any guide about this, someone have experience about this?

Regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
padulka
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No unfortunately, because I've a Windows installation with roles on different VMs

0 Kudos
one_topsy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you saying that all those VM's are windows servers that you need to join to the domain?

Why didn't you join them to the domain initially before installing Vcenter?

In anycase, you can join the vcenter to the AD and use the domain credentials to logon/assign permissions

Use the guide here How to join vCenter Server to Active Directory

You can add SSO identity source etc...

------ VCP6-DCV | Aspiring VMWare expert
padulka
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't know why customer has implementing this configuration but I need to resolve this issue.

Thanks your guide but it's about VCSA 6.5, I have VC5.5 u3 in windows installation.

0 Kudos
one_topsy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok then check this out

How to join a vCenter 5.5 server to a domain post-installation | IT vlab

It should work regardless of appliance/windows server. You are not joining the windows server vcenter is installed on to the domain, just setting up the Vcenter to join the domain and use AD for authentication

It shouldn't really matter if the VM itself is on the domain or not. It doesn't affect vCenter

Cheers!

------ VCP6-DCV | Aspiring VMWare expert
0 Kudos
theaaronstrong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There's also a great Hands On Lab that shows how to join hosts to Active Directory: HOL-1721-SDC-6 - vSphere Automation with PowerCLI

It's on page 34 where it will talk about joining existing hosts to Active Directory.