VMware Cloud Community
a22riz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need Help for Procedure Upgrade vCenter 5.5 Windows to vCenter 6.0 Appliance

Hi All,

I plan to upgrade our vSphere Environment from existing 5.5 to vSphere 6.0 and then upgrade it again to vSphere 6.7.

In our environment there are:

-  1 vCenter 5.5 Windows  (with external PSC and MS SQL 2012 for the database)

- Some ESXi 5.5 hosts

- vRealize automation 7.3

- SRM & vSphere Replication

The issue is with vCenter, because it's still windows based and I want to upgrade it to vCenter 6.0 Appliance. I don't have any experience regarding this, so I need your advice from you guys if you have any experience or procedure with a similar environment and condition.

Really appreciate for any help.

Ps: I already searched for some procedure from some webs on the internet, but I can't find any clear procedure

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Hi there,

It's quite simple actually, the assistant will walk you through it. Follow this one: https://haveyoutriedreinstalling.com/2016/09/15/vcenter-server-5-5-windows-to-appliance-6-0-migratio...

Best practices:

VMware Knowledge Base

Check interoperability of all the other components, hardware support for your servers with esxi 6 and you are ready to go.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Hi there,

It's quite simple actually, the assistant will walk you through it. Follow this one: https://haveyoutriedreinstalling.com/2016/09/15/vcenter-server-5-5-windows-to-appliance-6-0-migratio...

Best practices:

VMware Knowledge Base

Check interoperability of all the other components, hardware support for your servers with esxi 6 and you are ready to go.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

0 Kudos
a22riz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your reply, I will try the steps from the link you gave.

I have a question, how about the DB? Will it converted from MsSQL to PSQL during the migration process using the vCenter Migration Tool?

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

The migration tool will move the DB from SQL to the Appliance.

You need to install the agent on the windows vCenter. The tool will Copy the DB from your SQL to a temporary location in your Windows Server (Ensure you have enough C drive space to copy your DB / Expand the disk if needed) -This is the task that takes the most, you can monitor the status from the agent forlder, there will be a folder with the DB data (cannot recall the name, you will find it).

Then, it will copy that to the deployed appliance to complete the migraiton. The time it will take depends on the size of your DB and the diskspeed (This took hours in the past for me for a client with poor IO storage xD)

Dont panic if the Status bar for the migration doesnt move, monitor that folder to see its real progress of the DB migration process.

0 Kudos
a22riz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah I see, that tool is all in one solution.

Thank you for your help!

I will mark as correct answer