VMware Cloud Community
Anonymous7
Contributor
Contributor

NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/cpu/fpu.c:452

I am trying to run ESXi on a lab box.  I was not able to install 5.5 (purple screen of death during install), but was able to install 5.1.  Now, in the vSphere client when I configure any VM to boot from an ISO (I've tried Win XP and CentOS Linux) I get;

VMware ESX unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0) vcpu-0:NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/cpu/fpu.c:452

The ESXi box has an AMD A4 CPU.  The ISOs are uploaded in the datastore.  My client machine has VMWare Workstation 9 on it and that works fine (probably irrelevant, but just mentioning in case there is some conflict).

Any ideas?  I wasn't coming up with much via google.  Is this saying there is some sort of issue with FPU virtualization and the A4 and/or chipset on the box?  AS far as I can tell, the A4 supports AMD's virtualization technologies.

34 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

From the DCUI, under Troubleshooting Options, enable the ESXi shell.  Use Alt-F1 to switch screens to the ESXi console and log in as root.  Use vi to edit /etc/vmware/config and add the following lines to the end of the file:

featMask.mockup.cpuid.NUMLEVELS = Val:0xb

featMask.mockup.cpuid.AVX = Val:0

featMask.mockup.cpuid.XSAVE = Val:0

0 Kudos
vadla
Contributor
Contributor

Successfully I am unable to power on the virtual machine,but the operating system installation is not starting,it is showing a blank screen

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

At what point in the installation does the blank screen show up?

0 Kudos
vadla
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to install windows 7 operating system ie 32bit n 64 bit after few long minutes the screen with vmware has opened and again stop there itself it is not starting the os installation. I provided the virtual memory 4gb (ram).what can be the error .can you provide any solution for that

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting.  Can you please upload the vmware.log file as an attachment?

0 Kudos
vadla
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the Delay ,I am uploading two vmware log files of vcenter and Esxi host....Plz do check and let me the solution.....

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just to clarify...

You are trying to install Windows as a nested guest under ESXi as a guest under Windows, right?

At some point, when you started the ESXi guest, you should have seen the following message:

Nested virtual machines are not supported with binary translation for the outer virtual machine. If you want to run nested virtual machines under an ESX virtual machine, you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports Intel VT-x or AMD-V. Continue without nested virtual machine support?

You are no longer seeing this message, since you've checked the box indicating that you don't want to see it.

You should enable AMD-V in your physical machine's BIOS.  Then, you will be able to run the ESXi guest with hardware-assisted virtualization, and that will allow you to run nested guests.

0 Kudos
vadla
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ,

After power on the virtual machine (tryng to install7)os ie, the windows installation is not loading (vmware logo screen) with this screen.Getting a error message stating that VRMC console has diconnected...authempting to reconnect but is not starrting the installantm

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you upload the latest vmware.log files for the ESXi VM and the Windows 7 nested VM?

0 Kudos
vadla
Contributor
Contributor

It is not starting the os installation even. .....

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, I understand.  Please upload the requested log files.

0 Kudos
vadla
Contributor
Contributor

I am unable to copy the files of vm that is on esxi top of the which on vcenter, the vmware log files are located in data store, post which I m unable to copy them.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

From the Troubleshooting Options menu of the DCUI, enable the ESXi shell and SSH.  You should be able to copy files from the ESXi datastore with scp.

0 Kudos
vadla
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

These are the log files,pz check and let me know

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Both of those log files are for "C:\Users\KIRAN V\Documents\Virtual Machines\VMware ESXi 5.1\VMware ESXi 5.1.vmx".

Is your ESXi guest running and responsive?  If so, can you please upload the vmware.log file for the nested Windows VM?

0 Kudos