VMware Cloud Community
PatricNIX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NIC won't work after upgrade

Hi,

I have two identical servers, HP ML350 G6, with an additional NIC from Intel (82574L).

The first server was running 4.0 and I upgraded it to 5.0 without any problems whatsoever.

The other server was running 4.1 so I thought there wouldn't be any problems there either, BUT when I came to Install/Upgrade I didn't get the upgrade option, I got a Force Migrate instead. It complained about two drivers "oem-vmware-esx-drivers-net-vxge" and "oem-vmware-esx-drivers-scsi-3w-9xxx".

I thought that the first server didn't have any problem and is running fine on 5.0 so I did a force migrate.

When the "Force Migrate" was done and I booted up the server I noticed that one NIC didn't work properly anymore, the Intel 82574L..

It says it's disconnected and there is a red X next to it. I checked the first server again to see if it really was the exact same hardware and it was and the only difference is that the Intel NIC is working on the first but not the second server and they are now both on 5.0..

How come I had no problem upgrading from 4.0 but when I upgraded from 4.1 I got these problems? And how should I fix this?

I need this server up and running ASAP.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That great newsSmiley Wink

Please mark the discussion as correct :smileycool:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I had these issues with upgrading as well.

The problem was with the physical switches, CISCO specifically

For some reason the ports gets disabled on the switch, so I had to do a "shut" and "no shut"

Try to disable these ports and enable them again on your switch, even if it shows enabled Smiley Happy

Please award points for correct/helpful answers :smileycool:

Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Try shut and no shut with help of network team. If that doesnt resolve the issue.

Run a full diagonatis test on the server.

As you told that 1 Nic is working fine and the problem is with another Nic there are possiblity for hardware failure. After the reboot of the server it would have been detected.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
PatricNIX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, that actually worked! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution