VMware Cloud Community
virtualways
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NFS Problem after Upgrade to vSphere 5.1 from ESXi 5.0

Hello community,
i have installed / upgraded the vSphere 5.1 on a Dell R620 Server from ESXi 5.0
I also have an ESXi 5.0 installed an other Dell R620 both connected to an Snyology Racksation via NFS. (to different volumes)
Now i have the problem that i can't install an OS (Windows XP, Windows 8, Windows 7) located on a NFS Share within a new created vm.
I am not connected without vCenter, just with the direct conected vSphere Client.
The System boots up, but i can't choose install OS on the new created VMDK but then nothing happens.
I also tried to format the disk before installing, the formating breaks up after 15 minutes with the message: "Cant format the Disk .... 0x80070057"
When the VM is located on the local Storage of the vm Server, everything works fine.
I also can install and boot VMs on the same NFS Share with an ESXi 5.0.
Formerly installed VMs can't also boot. The all hung on the windows logo screen and the german message "Comuptereinstellungen werden übernommen"... for over an hour..
The same VMs work fine on the ESXi 5.0, located on the same NFS share.
But on the NFS Share i can write and read data  with the vSphere Client (over konfiguration -> storage) without any Problems, so i guess there is no Problem with the NFS volume, permissions etc.
So i guess there must be an Problem with the NFS Share on the vSphere 5.1 Host.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Thanks a lot!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Smiley Happy No worries

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

See if tihs helps?

http://www.kendrickcoleman.com/index.php/Tech-Blog/synology-users-do-not-upgrade-to-vsphere-51.html

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
virtualways
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot!!! This seems to be exactly the same problem that i have.  I try the firmware upgrade of the synology NAS now, to find out it is an NFS bug of the NAS. Great THANK YOU for this link!

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Smiley Happy No worries

0 Kudos
virtualways
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to give a feedback to this discussion: The problem was solved after the upgrade of the Synology NAS!  Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos