VMware Cloud Community
benwayj
Contributor
Contributor

Moving to new VCenter 5.1 install What will I lose?

I've had the same install of Vcenter (currently V5.1 build 947673) since V4 so I have the old low security SSL certs which cause issues with vcenter plugins and connecting Xendesktop.

the process to update the certs looks like a pain.

SO I was thinking of installing Vcenter 5.1 fresh and move all my ESX host to the new Vcenter.

I'm just trying to think through what I will lose doing this.

1. the folder structure under each of my datacenters

2. templates? and customizations?

3. I'm using veeam for backups, I'll have to find out how those jobs transfer over.

Any other down side of moving to a new Vcenter install? We don't use Dswitches so the networking should just come across to the new servers right?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from vSphere 5.1 to vSphere Upgrade & Install

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
benwayj
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran across this thread

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/456695

it talks about using the existing DB with a fresh install.

Maybe that's the way for me to go. upgrade my current install to the latest update level.

Then do a fresh install and connect to the existing DB.... That should keep all my config.....

Feedback?

jb

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

You lose your performance, task and event history, and you lose your host configuration.  If you are using Enterprise+, configuration isn't that big of a deal for a fresh install.  Set up one host clean, and create a host profile, and apply it to the other cleanly installed hosts.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
benwayj
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry are you saying this will happen on a new vcenter install with new DB? its the network config I'm most concerned about losing and the datacenter folders.

What if I just do a new vcenter install with an existing DB?

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In my experience connecting the existing db to a fresh installation of vCenter is a fairly trivial task.

There is an article available to assist with the process and this can be found at VMware KB: Reinstalling vCenter Server 4.x/5.0

Your Oscar

0 Kudos
Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Benwayj,

If you connect to the existing database on a new host you should not loose anything of any real consequence.  You will not lose folder structure or resource settings (resource pools) or virtual machine settings.  I have done this multiple times.  If you have products like vShield Edge, update manager or vcop's tied in these connections will need to be re-established with the new vcenter.

The process that is safest and supported by vmware is here:  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=585044...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Yes, what I said applies to fresh vCenter with a new DB.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

3. I'm using veeam for backups, I'll have to find out how those jobs transfer over.

After adding the ESX(i) to the fresh vCenter server, the Virtual Machines will have new MorefID assigned. Veeam B&R tracks VMs by their unique moref ID. Every VM re-registeration in the virtual infrastructure (such as moving VM between standalone hosts) changes this identifier and causes the VM to be treated as a new VM.

So, you will have to re-add VMs to existing backup jobs.

Cheers.

0 Kudos