VMware Cloud Community
mikeyb79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving hosts from ESX3.5 cluster to ESX4.0 cluster

So I have a new vCenter Server built on a standalone box with a local SQL Express instance, running Server 2008. I've built two new hosts and created a new datacenter, a new cluster in the datacenter, then added the two new hosts to the cluster. There are no VM's running on those hosts. HA and DRS are enabled, but not EVC.

I also have a 6-node ESX3.5 cluster running update 4 with their own vCenter Server running the licensing server.

I've pointed the new vCenter server to the old one for licensing for the older hosts.

Can I now remove the hosts from the 3.5 cluster and add them to the 4.0 cluster? I need to move some VM's off the existing hosts and remove two of them for another project.

Is there a problem with not immediately upgrading the VM hardware on the migrated VMs? They'd need to be backwards-compatible for a few weeks yet.

I assume I can stay on ESX3.5 until I can afford some downtime to move VM's around and upgrade the remaining 3.5 hosts?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mikeyb79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a chance to build a new host and add it to my ESX3.5 cluster. I then Vmotion'd some VM's on to the new host, and disconnected and removed the host from the cluster.

Then I added the host to the ESX4 cluster and it kept its licensing as I assumed (since vCenter4 was pointing to the vCenter2.5 server for ESX3.5 licensing). Then I tried to Vmotion the VM's off the host and got some CPU mask errors (different CPU types on the different hosts) so I'll need to look at that.

Assuming that works, I should be able to Vmotion the VMs onto different hosts in order to upgrade the existing hosts. I guess we'll see. Does anyone have any tricks around upgrading the VM's to be compatible witht he new CPU's without needing to make mask customizations?

0 Kudos