Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Move vCenter DB from SQL2005 Server to SQL2008 Server

Hi,

I've recently been through the vCenter Upgrade process and am now operating with vCenter 4.1update1 with a remote SQL2005 vCenter DB.

I was wondering what the process is for simply moving the DB to a SQL2008 Server.

The vCenter DB is already at v4.1update1 ... I just want to move from SQL2005 to SQL2008.

Upgrade guide keeps refering to Upgrading vCenter ... but this is already done ... I only want to "move" the DB ... not "upgrade" it.

Is it simply a matter of

• Stopping vCenter Services
  • backup vCenter SQL2005 Db
  • restore vCenter DB to SQL2008 Server
  • rename SQL2005 DSN from "vCenterDB" to vCenterDB-old
  • create a new SQL2008 DSN with name "VCenterDB"
  • start vCenter Services

I'd like to do the same with UpdateManager ... if my approach listed above is valid ... I assume UpdateManager will be the same process.

Any advice you can offer is much appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Commander
Commander

Yes, i am not sure if VMware have a published process but your method should work.

I've done 90% of this during upgrades to 64Bit vCentre. And created new DB, the only peice i haven't done is to rename the DSN but the logic would suggest it'll work. all you need to bare in mind is the user access rights for the new database instance after the restore is done.

oh yeah, VMware method:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1028601&sl... 0 158533925

effectively shutdown, migrate DB then reinstall to attach the DB. let us know if your option works

Paul

0 Kudos