VMware Cloud Community
KocoOn
Contributor
Contributor

Missing datastores on one reinstalled ESXi 5.5 server from 3-node cluster

Hello,

I have 3-node Essentials Plus licensed cluster. vCenter server and all hosts were on 5.1 version. There are about 8 LUNs presented by HP P2000 G3 FC array through FC switches, but no any zones, each server can see all LUNs.

I decided to upgrade the infrastructure to version 5.5, HCL check OK.

vCenter server was upgraded succsfully, it works well. I v-motioned virtual servers to the other two hosts and reinstalled one ESXi server. Upgrade was not possible because of some error stating different broadcom vibs or what... Reinstall was successful, I added this host to vCenter datacenter and to cluster also. I can see devices presented by FC array, but there are no datastores even after rescan HBA and VMFS. ESXi server was installed from HP the latest offline bundle.

Thank you for ideas, if any...

Ondrej Kocourek

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried checking if the claimrules are different between the legacy 5.1 host and the new 5.5 host by running

storage core claimrule list

against each?

You could also see if

esxcli storage san fc events get

returns any events which point to issues on the 5.5 FC adapter post upgrade.

That's where I would start to look 😉     

-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos
njcw666
Contributor
Contributor

make zone , map host and lun

0 Kudos
vervoortjurgen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hello

you have a default zone then so indeed all host should see the luns (better to have a zone ofcourse)

what image you used? vmware or vendor customized?

i solved the problem after upgrading to ESX 5.5U1 by logging into my FC switch and configuring the ports again where the server is connected on.

that did the trick for me. after rescan i could see my datastores again

hope this helps you

kind regards Vervoort Jurgen VCP6-DCV, VCP-cloud http://www.vdssystems.be
0 Kudos
KocoOn
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your hints.

I didnt find the command "storage", just "storageRM". And there are no any SAN FC events listed.

On Friday late afternoon I decided to reinstall the host back to 5.1 U1 version (all hosts were installed with HP customised ISO - 3x HP DL380p Gen8) and I disconnected FC connectivity during the installation. The result is the same as with 5.5, but if I rescan for LUNs and datastores, some of them appear for a while, but usually with wrong information about a capacity and free space. The same information is also reported on the other hosts for a few seconds or until "Refresh" is invoked.

And when I list /vmfs/volumes directory, I can see datastores name aliases, but there is some statement with datastores GUIDs:

/vmfs/volumes # ls -alix

ls: ./datastoreGUID: Function not implemented

Ondrej

0 Kudos