VMware Cloud Community
cantvhwindows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migration vm from vmware 3.5 to 4.1

Hello communities,

We are migrating from 3.5 to 4.1, we have two VCenter Server, version 2.5.0, in a server 32 bits and 4.1.0, in a server 64 bits. In the first VCenter (2.5) we have 17 hosts and 121 virtual machines, in the other one (4.1) we have 3 hosts and 17 virtual machine. My question is:

What will be the best way in order to migrate from 3.5 to 4.1 without turn off the virtual machines, the vm´s migrated were turned off and the process is too complicated because we have a lot productions vm.

thanks a lot for you opinions,

cantvhwindows

William Téllez.

Caracas / Venezuela.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

I have done the activity without taking the FC cable out. everything went fine but one VM couldnt get moved to new host. some LUN issue was there with it.will check this on monday and let u know guys.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

beckham007fifa wrote:

I have done the activity without taking the FC cable out. everything went fine but one VM couldnt get moved to new host. some LUN issue was there with it.will check this on monday and let u know guys.

I'm only guessing here but it sounds like one LUN was not visable by all of your hosts.  If that is the case, you should be able to use Storage vMotion to migrate it to the new host and to a new LUN while it is running.

0 Kudos