VMware Cloud Community
cantvhwindows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migration vm from vmware 3.5 to 4.1

Hello communities,

We are migrating from 3.5 to 4.1, we have two VCenter Server, version 2.5.0, in a server 32 bits and 4.1.0, in a server 64 bits. In the first VCenter (2.5) we have 17 hosts and 121 virtual machines, in the other one (4.1) we have 3 hosts and 17 virtual machine. My question is:

What will be the best way in order to migrate from 3.5 to 4.1 without turn off the virtual machines, the vm´s migrated were turned off and the process is too complicated because we have a lot productions vm.

thanks a lot for you opinions,

cantvhwindows

William Téllez.

Caracas / Venezuela.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you simply need license server for your VI3 Hosts. You can use your old license server, which is probably your 2.5 vCenter server, or create a new one. Under Administration on the main tool bar, go to vCenter Settings Livening. At the bottom you place your license source.

See below if information and the download for a standalone license server

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vsp_4_legacy_host_lic.pdf

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx_35_licenseserver_dt/dGViZGVoKmJkZXBo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Moved thread to the vSphere Upgrade & Install forum.

Welcome to the forums!

I moved you thread because you posted it in the help forum for the community itself.

Have you gone through that document already? It works through different migration scenarios.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

Forum Upgrade Notice:
VMware will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in read-only mode.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I second the suggestion of using VMware's Upgrade Guide -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
cantvhwindows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for move my thread.

indeed, I had read the document, but I read it again as you recomended and my scenarios is not there.

Let me explain the scenario:

I have created two data centers on two different servers, the first (A) is in a virtual server, 32-bit architecture, the VirtualCenter server is in 2.5 version together with an oracle 10g database, containing 17 servers with ESX server 3.5 version . The other data center (B) is a physical server, 64-bit architecture, with VirtualCenter Server 4.1 installed and attached to another instance of oracle 10g database with recommended patches The data center (B) is made of 3 servers with ESX Server 4.1.

Rewriting the question with this scenario will be: How do I migrate the virtual machine from data center (A) to data center (B) without turning off the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Rewriting the question with this scenario will be: How do I migrate the virtual machine from data center (A) to data center (B) without turning off the virtual machine?

You can't live migrate across virtual datacenters. If you are just bringing over the guests, then your best method is to use VMware Converter. If you're bring over the ESXi Hosts as well, just disconnect and remove the Host(s) from one environment and into the new.

Keep in mind if yo have VI3 hosts being managed by vCenter 4.x, you'll need to keep you VI3 license server online.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello communities,

What will be the best way in order to migrate from 3.5 to 4.1 without turn off the virtual machines, the vm´s migrated were turned off and the process is too complicated because we have a lot productions vm.I take no credit for this information as this is not my blog. Nor, do I take any responsibility if you use this information and run into any problems as again, this is not my blog. However, having read and re-read this particular article, I do think it will work, I just haven't tried it yet. The only thing that worries me is the side-effects of having ESX 4.1 and ESX 3.5 host servers accessing the same LUNs. Again, I can't see this being a problem as both 3.5 and 4.1 use the same version of VMFS but I haven't tried it.

Enjoy and please let me know if this works for you as I will be attempting the same scenario in a few weeks.

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Troy mentioned, if you move the whole ESX(i) server you can move them from one vCenter environme nt to the other without shutting down the guests. Just go to the new datacenter/vCenter installation and add the ESX(i) host. It will be transferred over.

Forum Upgrade Notice:
VMware will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in read-only mode.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
cantvhwindows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the older versions I just to do it in the way you say, but in this version (from 3.5 to 4.1) I tried and I get the following messagge.

"The host type is not supported, or was added to a cluster but does not support clustering features.", attachment error message.

What I believe, is that there is a new procedure that I have not see yet

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to me, from the screenshot you posted, you are trying to add a 4.1 host into a 2.5 vCenter. You cannot do this. You need vCenter 4.1 to manage 4.1 hosts.

0 Kudos
cantvhwindows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So sorry, you're right, attachment error message.

You are close to solve my problem, now the issue is licensed, let me investigate to how to configurate in 4.1 license for VI3 hosts.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you simply need license server for your VI3 Hosts. You can use your old license server, which is probably your 2.5 vCenter server, or create a new one. Under Administration on the main tool bar, go to vCenter Settings Livening. At the bottom you place your license source.

See below if information and the download for a standalone license server

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vsp_4_legacy_host_lic.pdf

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx_35_licenseserver_dt/dGViZGVoKmJkZXBo

0 Kudos
cantvhwindows
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

20 points, the vm was migrated sucessfull without downtime, excelent.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

Hi All,

I am having 4 hosts x3950 IBM servers with SAN LUNS shared for each one. Hosts having ESX 3.5 U5.
We have been told to migrate to esxi 4.1. Also, this going to be fresh installation of ESXi 4.1 and will be migrating VMs runnning on ESX 3.5 back to it.

Our steps..

Preimplementation Activity   
1    Install Windows OS on the physical server agreed to use for vcenter
2         Install Vcenter server 4.1 on new physical host with update manager
3          Create a new Datacentre on newly installed Vcenter server
4    Assign a new tempoarary IP to server
Implementation Activity   
1    Login to old vcenter 2.5 and check the ESX & vm running properly
2          Vmotion all VM from ESX03 to ESX04 ( Shut down some of VM if not required )
3          Check all vm with respect to its functionality
4    Take details of all datastore and network interfaces attached to the ESX03 server
5    Take the backup of ESX server config
6    Remove the ESX03 from the datacenter
7          Perform a fresh installation of esx4.1 on the free host (i.e ESX03 )
8    Add in the Datacenter of VC 4.1
9    Configure the Datastore and Network Interfaces on newly installed ESX server ( Keep the existing old IP of the esx system )
10    Remove the ESX04 form the datacenter of VC 2.5
11    Add the ESX04 in the Datacenter of VC 4.1
12         Vmotion all vm from the ESX04 to ESX03 ( Newly installed ESX 4.1 )
13          Check all VM with respect to its functionality

so, I would like to know from you guys that is it OK? Also, do I have to do any HBA disconnections before proceeding the ESXi 4.1 installation? if yes, how to do that?

also, how abt the communication and vmotion on the new ESXi server, if I am ahving all the configuration working with 3.5 and on the same we going to migrate it. then will it work as the same if we providing the same ip for ESXi 4.1. IF NOT, what all things I have to do for doing VMotion after pulling back all the servers in the Vcenter4? Please help me with this. this activity I am supposed to do ASAP.

any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

beckham007fifa wrote:

Preimplementation Activity   
1    Install Windows OS on the physical server agreed to use for vcenter
2         Install Vcenter server 4.1 on new physical host with update manager
3          Create a new Datacentre on newly installed Vcenter server
4    Assign a new tempoarary IP to server
Implementation Activity   
1    Login to old vcenter 2.5 and check the ESX & vm running properly
2          Vmotion all VM from ESX03 to ESX04 ( Shut down some of VM if not required )
3          Check all vm with respect to its functionality
4    Take details of all datastore and network interfaces attached to the ESX03 server
5    Take the backup of ESX server config
6    Remove the ESX03 from the datacenter
7          Perform a fresh installation of esx4.1 on the free host (i.e ESX03 )
8    Add in the Datacenter of VC 4.1
9    Configure the Datastore and Network Interfaces on newly installed ESX server ( Keep the existing old IP of the esx system )
10    Remove the ESX04 form the datacenter of VC 2.5
11    Add the ESX04 in the Datacenter of VC 4.1
12         Vmotion all vm from the ESX04 to ESX03 ( Newly installed ESX 4.1 )
13          Check all VM with respect to its functionality

The preimplementation activity steps 1 through 4 will work fine.

The only way you can vMotion from ESX03 to ESX04 is if both servers are managed by the same vCenter.  What you need to do is:

1. Login to old vcenter 2.5 and check the ESX & vm running properly
  2. record ESX03 IPaddresses
  3. Disable HA/DRS from ESX03 cluster
  4. Disconnect ESX03 from ESX03 cluster
  5. Login to new vcenter 4.1 and create a new datacenter, a new vSphere cluster, and ensure that EVC is enabled
  6. Login to new vcenter 4.1 and create a new VI35 cluster in the same datacenter as the vSphere cluster and ensure that EVC is enabled
  7. Add your ESX03 hosts to the new VI3.5 cluster on the vCenter 4.1 server
  8. Add your ESX04 hosts to the new vSphere cluster on the vCenter 4.1 server
  9. Check all vm with respect to its functionality
  10. Take details of all datastore and network interfaces attached to the ESX03 server
  11. Take the backup of ESX server config
  12. Vmotion all VM from ESX03 to ESX04 (Shutdown should not be required if ALL ESX03 and ESX04 servers see the same LUNs)
  13. Check all vm with respect to its functionality
  14. Remove the ESX03 from the datacenter
  15. Perform a fresh installation of esx4.1 on the free host (i.e ESX03 )
  16. Add in the Datacenter of VC 4.1
  17. Configure the Datastore and Network Interfaces on newly installed ESX server ( Keep the existing old IP of the esx system )
  18. Vmotion all vm from the ESX04 to ESX03 ( Newly installed ESX 4.1 )
  19. Check all VM with respect to its functionality

The main problem with your plan is that as far as I know you cannot add a ESX04 server to a vCenter2.5 server.

The easiest way to do HBA disconnections before proceeding with the ESX4.1 installation is to disconnect the fibre cables from the HBA(s).  Just make a note of which cable goes into which HBA.

You should be able to setup your new ESXi4.1 servers with the same IP addresses ad your ESX03 servers and have vMotion continue to function correctly.  Just make sure that there are no IP address conflicts between your ESX04 servers and your ESXi4.1 servers.

Hope this Helps,

Jason

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for the info and I too missed out that point of pulling ESX 3.5 host to VC4.1.

Also, i would like to put this in notice that we have VMotion working with ESX 3.5 as of now and all the ESX servers communicate with same LUN's.

Also, we will be providing same IP for the new ESXi 4.1 as of ESX 3.5.

So, is there anything to do additionally or something which I would be missing. This is real urgent kindly help me out.

And regarding the HBA disconnection, the only reason for its disconnection is because while installing ESXi ask for formating the volumes and If its connected with HBA it may be fatal if any mistakes happen. I am also not sure at which screen it asks, so can anyone help me in this also if I am not disabling the HBA cards.

Thanks.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

beckham007fifa wrote:

And regarding the HBA disconnection, the only reason for its disconnection is because while installing ESXi ask for formating the volumes and If its connected with HBA it may be fatal if any mistakes happen. I am also not sure at which screen it asks, so can anyone help me in this also if I am not disabling the HBA cards.

It is best practise to disable the HBA's before installing ESX.  As I mentioned, the easiest way to do this is to simply disconnect the fibre from the back of the server.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

Thanks for info.

I can very well take off the cables and reconnect it. Do I have to rescan the HBA devs when installed with ESXi 4.1??? or the settings will all come online once the card connected?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What I would do is leave the cables off and bot the server after the OS has been installed.  After the server is booted and you are sure that the install was successful, shutdown the server, reconnect the cables, and then power the server back on.

You could simply reconnect the cables and rescan the HBA's but I like to see a fresh install boot with the cables attached to ensure that everything is loading properly.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

one more thing, VMware hardware version 7 does get installed with VMware tools right or is there anything else I have to do for installing it?

another thing is if we going to provide same IP for sc and its not assigned with any VLANid but we do have VLAN ids for VM. I am looking for 2 physical nic card for VMkernal and 2 nic cards for VM's. These things I can do from the Vsphere client also right? I mean assigning the cards, uplinking and all. now the major thing is to get ESXi installed with the cables off and when cables are put back it shouldn't create any problem with the connectiins and all..

thanks..

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

Also, I am not sure abt VT processors on the server. Is that EVC that important?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos