VMware Cloud Community
Puzen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migration on vCenter appliance 5.5 from vCenter Windows

Good day! I'm a newbie and I need some advice!

Today a Have EXSI 5.5.0_5.72a and VMware vCenter Server 5.5.0a.

I need to UPGRADE hypervisors (3 nodes) to last version of ESXI 5.5 (201512001).
I found in manuals, that I need first to update my vCenter version for VMware vCenter Server 5.5 Update 3k.So, I have two ways.

1.Update from iso (VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-9911217-20180913-update03) on Windows.
2.Migrate my vCenter for vCenter appliance 5.5.

First plan is clean for me, but the second way, how I understand - better way. And I need advices.
Is it possible to migrate from my version? I found manuals how to migrate to 6.5 version. But I can not use it with my licenses.
Or may be it is the better way to install clean vCenter appliance from (VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.5.0.31100-9911210_OVF10.ova) and configure it. I found, that The Migration Tools used to migrate from a Windows vCenter Server to the vCSA has first been included in version 6.5

Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert

I don't know what kind of VMs you have running but you could install a fresh vCenter appliance and then reconnect your host(s) to this new vCenter. But all the versions you mention are old... very old.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
Puzen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello! Thank you for your time! I understand about old version. I will discuss the purchase of new licenses!

So. What will be with my network, ssl certificates, license and switch (I do not have distributed switch) if I will install clean version of vcenter appliance?

How I understand i must:

- backup  vCenter on Windows

- Deploy ovf on vCenter on Windows

- shutdown vCenter on Windows

-try to add my nodes to appliance

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

First, make sure your license is valid for the version you want to install. And if you are doing a fresh install there is no need to backup your current vCenter server. When you are using Standard Switches on your hosts they are not touched when you connect the host to another vCenter appliance. After you added the hosts to the new vCenter you can shut down the old Windows vCenter server.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
Puzen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you! I try to do deploy appliance. After I will inform.

0 Kudos