VMware Cloud Community
AnaCopa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migration of licenses from one hardware to another

Dear, could someone answer my questions about the following please:
There is a vsphere vCenter and Hypervisor environment with Standard licenses, vmware support has expired recently so my query is the following:
In the current scenario with Standard licenses but without VMware support, is it possible to migrate to other equipment? In other words, install ESXI on other hardware, and "move" the "Standard" licenses that I had on the previous hardware. Is it possible?

If not, should I buy new licenses for the new hardware I'm looking at?
Thank you very much in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
VMware vSphere licenses are perpetual (never expire).

If you change the Hardware (physical Server), for a new one, you can use the licenses you had.

An important detail is that you have to validate that the new hardware (physical server) is supported by the version of which you have licenses.
Attached is a link where you can verify the hardware compatibility.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Currently on the web only validates the compatibility from version 6.0 and higher.

It is recommended to use a customized image from the server manufacturer or otherwise use the standard image provided by VMware.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of any restrictions regarding the license usage other than making sure that the licenses are only in use once.
For a typical migration, you'd usually install the new environment in evaluation mode (60 days), and "migrate" the licenses after retiring the old environment.

It may even be possible to upgrade your license keys to a newer version, if that new version became generally available while your subscription was still active. You can find out about this in your Customer Connect portal. Selecting Upgrade licenses will show you any eligible licenses.

I assume that you have default perpetual licenses, i.e. no special licensing.

André

e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
VMware vSphere licenses are perpetual (never expire).

If you change the Hardware (physical Server), for a new one, you can use the licenses you had.

An important detail is that you have to validate that the new hardware (physical server) is supported by the version of which you have licenses.
Attached is a link where you can verify the hardware compatibility.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Currently on the web only validates the compatibility from version 6.0 and higher.

It is recommended to use a customized image from the server manufacturer or otherwise use the standard image provided by VMware.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos