VMware Cloud Community
joeytmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migration from 5.5 on Windows server to 6.0 appliance

Still searching around but not having any luck finding info about this upgrade path.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

while following instructions, when they ask you to shutdown VC host, since yours is running with DB itself, just stop virtualcenter service on your host and carry on towards next steps.

That's the advise from William Lam (one of the developers of this tool) to someone in feedback section if you explore it. Following is copy and paste of his comments from Feedback section of the fling.

Yes, in the current release the Fling only supports an external MSSQL DB.

Having said that, one of the scenarios that I had personally tested because my initial lab setup was exactly like yours where an Embedded SQL Express was used and couldn’t help test the Fling. We did find a work around, it’s not the cleanest solution but it does work. If you’re willing to give this a shot (please do test this in a lab env) here are the high level details:

You’ll still proceed with the migration as the documentation states, but when you get asked to shutdown the Windows VC Server, instead of doing that you will just turn off the VC Service itself. After you have done that, you will also need to re-IP your Windows VC to another IP Address that’ll be accessible by the Migration Appliance. The reason this is required is that that when the VCSA is powered on, it will take over the IP Address of your Windows VC but the DB portion of the migration has not happened yet. By doing this, you can migrate from an Embedded MSSQL Express to VCSA. Again, this is more of a workaround and I do stress that you test this in a lab env first

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

See if following url helps

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vcs-to-vcva-converter

you might not be able to upgrade directly, but let's say you do VC 5.5 windows to VCSA 5.5 using above fling.

and then upgrade VCSA 5.5 to VCSA 6.

0 Kudos
joeytmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That looks like the tool to use. Do have one problem though, the SQL db runs on my vcenter server as well.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

while following instructions, when they ask you to shutdown VC host, since yours is running with DB itself, just stop virtualcenter service on your host and carry on towards next steps.

That's the advise from William Lam (one of the developers of this tool) to someone in feedback section if you explore it. Following is copy and paste of his comments from Feedback section of the fling.

Yes, in the current release the Fling only supports an external MSSQL DB.

Having said that, one of the scenarios that I had personally tested because my initial lab setup was exactly like yours where an Embedded SQL Express was used and couldn’t help test the Fling. We did find a work around, it’s not the cleanest solution but it does work. If you’re willing to give this a shot (please do test this in a lab env) here are the high level details:

You’ll still proceed with the migration as the documentation states, but when you get asked to shutdown the Windows VC Server, instead of doing that you will just turn off the VC Service itself. After you have done that, you will also need to re-IP your Windows VC to another IP Address that’ll be accessible by the Migration Appliance. The reason this is required is that that when the VCSA is powered on, it will take over the IP Address of your Windows VC but the DB portion of the migration has not happened yet. By doing this, you can migrate from an Embedded MSSQL Express to VCSA. Again, this is more of a workaround and I do stress that you test this in a lab env first

0 Kudos
joeytmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I thought of that too. This is going to be fun.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos