VMware Cloud Community
VinnieP
Contributor
Contributor

Migration Path for vSphere 4.x clusters merge

Hello,

We currently have 2 vSphere clusters, each managed by its own vcenter.

- Cluster 1, vCenter 4.0, managing 4 production ESXi 4.0 and a total of ~80 Vms

- Cluster 2, vCenter 4.1, managing 4 "new" production ESXi4.1, and only ~10VMs

The 2 clusters have HA and DRS enabled, have similar if not identical NW configurations, using distributed vswitchs for VMs, and do not share Storage.

We need to merge Cluster 1 with Cluster 2, meaning eventually having Cluster 2 managed by vCenter 4.1, with 8 ESXi4.1 and all the VMs. (vCenter 4.0 will be decomissionned)

I am wondering about the best way to go about this, in order to minimize the downtime.

My intuitive method would be :

- Present all Cluster1 datastores to Cluster2

- For every ESX 4.0 in Cluster 1 :

-For every VM on ESX :

- Shutdown VM, remove from Cluster1 inventory, Add to Cluster 2 inventory, Upgrade HW, Start VM, Upgrade VM Tools, reboot

-Once ESX 4.0 Empty:

-reinstall with ESX 4.1, add to Cluster 2

- Once all ESX migrated, Load balance VMs accross cluster

Does that make sense ?

IS it risky to present production datastores with running VMs to the ESXi4.1 hosts ?

Is there a better/easier way to do things, for example a method that would allow vMtionning live VMs to the Cluster2 ?

Many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Present the datastore of cluster 1 to  cluster 2. Then create new cluster in vCenter 4.1, Remove the host from cluster 1 and it to new cluster in vCeter 4.1. If EVC is not enabled. If it is enabled, then you have to go ahead with your steps mentioned.

You dont need downtime for VM to move whole cluster to new vCenter server, if EVC is not enabled.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
VinnieP
Contributor
Contributor

And then just vMotion Vms from newly created cluster to Cluster2 I suppose ?

0 Kudos