VMware Cloud Community
pandes3
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating the Virtual Center database from SQL2005 express to a remote oracle 10g database

Hi,

We have a virtual center which has the configuration on the default SQL netexpress Database on the same server we are planning to migrate this on to a new oracle database on remote solaris server.

I wanted the steps for migration of this database on oracle and how to configure oracle to use with VC 2.5.

I have been through the installation guide but they have provided basic information od confiuring database on remote oracle, I am new to oracle and wanted to know more details for thsi migration.

If any one has done this please can they share the details, it will be most appreciated.

Regards

Santosh

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You can use some tools like Oracle Migration Workbench to peform the migration. But I dont think this is a supported scenario. But you can try the following steps:

1. Install Oracle migration workbench and migrate the MSSQL database to Oracle.

2. Install Oracle client on the VC Server setup (Please do not disturb your setup as the scenario that we are trying is not recommented. So you can try this on a test setup).

3. Create a DSN pointing to the remote Oracle database (You might have to create a Oracle Net Service name on the vCenter server machine)

4. Perform a VC installation on the test setup and use the above created DSN for installation.

5. Your VC installation should complete and should show all the inventory as it was in the MSSQL DB setup.

Thanks

Sandeep

0 Kudos
HyperViZor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can also use this migration tools from AdventNet: , and i'd recommend to test of course on separate vCenter instance

Regards,

Hany Michael

HyperViZor.com | Virtualization, and everything around it

Hany Michael
HyperViZor.com | The Deep Core of The Phenomena
0 Kudos