VMware Cloud Community
trungminh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrate vmware client to newer version

Hello experts,

Currently, i used ESX4.0 and VCenter is 5.5.

I have plan to upgrade to ESXi 5.5 or 6.0 by build on new physical Server. And also migrate vmware clients to other storage.

So, what is the condition/method to upgrade VMWare VSphere and migrate all vmware clients to new storage that make downtime is not affected to production?

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

2 Replies
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hello,

You can implement the following steps:

1. If you are going to install a fresh 6.0 ESXi and have it managed by a vCenter, you would require to upgrade your current vCenter 5.5 to 6.0, as vCenter needs to be on a level equal to or greater than the ESXi host it is managing. Otherwise, you can install a new 5.5 ESXi host for time being. This choice is up to you.

2. Once the new ESXi 5.5/6.0 hosts are up, you can add them into the vCenter.

3. For the part, where you want to migrate your VMs to a new storage. You will have to connect the new storage to the ESXi host on which the VMs require to be moved to the new datastore. Once the new storage is up and formatted and added as a VMFS datastore, you can simply storage vMotion your VMs from the old datastore to your new on the ESXi 4.0 hosts.

4. Once the SVmotion is done, and you want to live migrate your VMs to the newly added 5.5 ESXi host, then present this newly added storage to the 5.5 ESXi host as well, as shared storage is required for vMotion (live migration). One thing to make sure is that hardware version of the VMs running on the ESX 4.0 is compatible with ESXi 5.5

For Virtual HW compatibility:

VMware KB: ESXi/ESX hosts and compatible virtual machine hardware versions list

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

trungminh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Suhas,

Sorry fro reply very late.

I means, how to move vmware clients existed on ESX 4.0 to the new ESXi 6.0 while 6.0 version is support newer VMFS  volume version?

Also, could you please guide me how to mount a new datastorage on ESXi 6.0?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

0 Kudos