VMware Cloud Community
Jim_Stiveson
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate From Current ESX 4.1 Cluster To New ESXi 4.1 Cluster

We currently have a cluster of four ESX 4.1 hosts managed by vCenter server. We have Enterprise Plus licensing. The hosts are Dell 2950s.

We have just installed a new Cisco UCS system. We will be installing ESXi 4.1 on those  six new hosts. My question is: What is the most efficient and simple way to accomplish the migration of our existing VMs {27} to the new ESXi hosts? Would it be to just create a new cluster in our vCenter Data Center and migrate them? Perhaps just add the new hosts to the existing cluster and migrate them? Or, is there some other method I am over looking? {I know that we cannot use vMotion due to the dissimilar hardware and will have to migrate the VMs instead.}

Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I think it would be fine to add the new host into your current vCenter as a new cluster.   Will you be doing a cold migration over to new datastores or utilizing the same storage and just un registering and registering on the new cluster? 

0 Kudos
Jim_Stiveson
Contributor
Contributor

Well, as I understand it we cannot use vMotion due to the hardware differences so I assumed a cold migration. We will be using the same datastores.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah should be simple.  Shutdown VM, unregister on current host, and register on new host. 

Jim_Stiveson
Contributor
Contributor

So setup a new cluster under the existing datacenter, add the new ESXi hosts into the new cluster and then migrate the exisiting VMs to the new cluster. That is what I was thinking.  When you say register and unregister are you using that interchangeably with the Migrate option in vCenter?

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

If the hardware is too dissimilar to do a live vMotion and you're using the same datastores, one (of many similar methods) would be to:

1. Add the new hosts to the cluster
  2. Power off all of your VMs
  3. Put all of your old hosts into maintenance mode, making sure to vacate powered-off VMs; this should vacate all of the old hosts onto the new hosts
  4. Power on your VMs
Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Just disregard that last part Smiley Happy   I was thinking of something else and posted before I thought it out.  Just migrate to the new host would work or the procedure eeg listed would suffice. 

0 Kudos
Jim_Stiveson
Contributor
Contributor

Would the procedure eeg outlined work even though we plan on placing the new hosts in a new cluster? {I am pretty sure it will}

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

No, his procedure would require you to add the new host into the old cluster. 

0 Kudos
Jim_Stiveson
Contributor
Contributor

Now, we intend to create a new cluster. So I think the "Migrate" option will need to be employeed.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't anticipate you having any issues.  If you do run into anything just let us know. 

0 Kudos
Jim_Stiveson
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Will do.  I very much appreciate all the responses.

0 Kudos