VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mgmt and Compute vCenter with single SSO and Linked Mode?

I am designing for a large vCAC environment and want to separate not only Mgmt/Compute clusters,  but also vCenters.   I want to be able to manage these vCenter inLinkedMode.  My plan is to have 2 vCenter VMs and asingleSSO/Web VM.    When installing both vCenters,  do I just point them at the shared SSO/Web server and then enableLinkedMode?

Will this work?  Anything else I am missing?  Will asingleWeb Server instance be able to handle multiple vCenters?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Akopylov
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello, MattG.

Yes, you can use 1 SSO and 1 Web Client service to get "single-pane-of-view" for 2 vCenters, i did the same thing recently, and you don`t need linked mode. Just point to your SSO and Web during installation of both vCenters. But in this case you can manage both of them from single point only in Web Client, not from thick vSphere client. If you need to manage both of them from single thick client also, then you should make linked mode, but in this case as far as I know you should also install multi-site SSO, not simple SSO node. I use the first scheme.

Sorry for my bad english.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Akopylov
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello, MattG.

Yes, you can use 1 SSO and 1 Web Client service to get "single-pane-of-view" for 2 vCenters, i did the same thing recently, and you don`t need linked mode. Just point to your SSO and Web during installation of both vCenters. But in this case you can manage both of them from single point only in Web Client, not from thick vSphere client. If you need to manage both of them from single thick client also, then you should make linked mode, but in this case as far as I know you should also install multi-site SSO, not simple SSO node. I use the first scheme.

Sorry for my bad english.

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello, 1 Web/SSO server will work and you can point multiple vcenters to it to get a "single-pane-of-view" - just remember this is only for the web client Only.  Akopylov is spot on with his comments, and without repeating anything, you will find this link useful When to Centralize vCenter Single Sign-On Server 5.5 | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

And these two sessions from VMworld 2013

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP