VMware Cloud Community
lagagne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Make a baremetal NEW installation of ESXi with RTL8111/8168/8411

Hi, I have never used ESXi or vSphere before but I need to get it work on a PC that only has a RTL8111/8168/8411 Ethernet controller. I've tried using ESXi-Customizer-PS (https://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer-ps.html) to integrate the driver into the ISO but I got blue screens more than once when came the time to use Rufus or Unetbootin to make a bootable USB with it.

I have two questions and if I get an answer to only one of them I will be happy:

1st: Is there still a way to get ESXi 5.1 for free? I think the free vSphere Hypervisor started with version 6.0 but I may be mistaken.

2nd: Do you know what my be causing the blue screen? I will happily provide more information but I'm not sure what might be relevant. I'm using the customizer inside a Windows 10 VM running on VMWare Workstation 12 (with Workstation 10 compatibility) on a Ubuntu machine.

EDIT: 3rd question: If I use ESXi Customizer can I use my free vSphere Hypervisor license or it's not even gonna be the right software?

Thanks in advance,

Louis-André

Message was edited by: Louis-André Gagné

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lagagne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've finally successfully installed and activated vSphere Hypervisor 6.5.

My blue screen was due to some sort of system failure by using Rufus or Unetbootin inside a VM. I don't know why but when I got the blue screen with an official ISO I figured it wasn't the customizer's fault so I used the ESXi-Customizer-PS again and added in the net55-r8168 and  sata-xahci VIBs (not sure I needed the latter but as I'm gonna plug in SSDs I'd better be safe than sorry). Then I got the ISO out of my Windows VM and used Unetbootin on my Ubuntu host, no problem this time. I intalled it without any problem and my free license was eligible too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lagagne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the ESXi 5.1 free iso from the official VMWare site. When I you land on this page: https://my.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6 (the only page to download the vSphere Hypervisor that has a link going to it) you have to change the 6 for 5... Then it seems to be only for version 5.5 but when you subscribe for the license, the older versions are available for download too.

Anyway I still have a problem. I tried to install it but i have this error:

Error loading /s.v00

Fatal error: 33 (inconsistent data).

I'm gonna keep looking for a solution but I just wanted to let you know my original problem was solved.

0 Kudos
lagagne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've finally successfully installed and activated vSphere Hypervisor 6.5.

My blue screen was due to some sort of system failure by using Rufus or Unetbootin inside a VM. I don't know why but when I got the blue screen with an official ISO I figured it wasn't the customizer's fault so I used the ESXi-Customizer-PS again and added in the net55-r8168 and  sata-xahci VIBs (not sure I needed the latter but as I'm gonna plug in SSDs I'd better be safe than sorry). Then I got the ISO out of my Windows VM and used Unetbootin on my Ubuntu host, no problem this time. I intalled it without any problem and my free license was eligible too.

0 Kudos