VMware Cloud Community
FluxboxUK
Contributor
Contributor

Local SSD Disks in ESXi 5

Hi all,

Iv just got my hands on one of these nice little HP MIcroServers and am playing around with it to test out ESXi 5. But am wondering what the current stance on using local SATA SSD disks as datastores is.

Last time i checked on this, ESX didnt support TRIM, which meant that using an SSD disks may perform brilliantly when i first plugged it in, but over time the drive would suffer significant performance issues.

Anyone had any experience with using SSD's and offer some friendly advice Smiley Happy

Aaron

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I know ESXi doesn't support TRIM yet, but one thing you'll need to know is that the only way to install SSD's in a n40l is by hanging the ssd off the controller, If you install one of those 2.5 to 3.5 converters in the caddy the ports dont quite marry up to in the caddy. Its fine though hanging them off the controller as theres hardly any weight to an SSD.

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
0 Kudos
FluxboxUK
Contributor
Contributor

Im only using 1 SSD at the moment, using the onboard SATA port and mounting it into the top of the chassis where the Optical Drive should be located.

I was thinking of getting one of these http://uk.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-Racks/4-Drive-25in-Removable-SAS-SATA-Mobile-Rack-Backplane~SATSAS... to fit into the Optical Bay (ooooo, pretty Smiley Happy)

Aaron

0 Kudos