VMware Cloud Community
soonblue
Contributor
Contributor

Linux Client for vSphere and vCenter 5

Hey folks,

I know this has been dragged through the mud a lot over the past two years and with the introduction of a web-based GUI for vCenter I'm not sure how necessary it will be, but does anybody still have any interest in a Linux client for both vCenter and individual ESXi hosts?

I halted progress on this early last year when I heard about the web-based GUI but all the code is still there, I just need a kick in the pants to get working on it again. See a couple of screenshots below:

bvc_connect.jpgbvc_main.jpg

Fraser Gutteridge

University of Delaware IT/NSS Systems Programmer III

Tags (3)
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hey are you developing your own Linux Virtual Infrastructure Client?

--

Thanks,

sakthi

0 Kudos
soonblue
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Sakthi,

Yes, that's correct. It's been on hold for quite some time because of the web GUI with vSphere 5. I wasn't sure how much this would be needed when vSphere 5 was released. However, I still have all the code and would certainly be willing to pick up development again if there was enough interest.

Fraser

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Fraser,

You have a point, though we have web client, Navigation feels little slower than VI Client, web client still needs a lot of improvement.

May be some one can develop a better VI client than what vmware provides natively.

--

Thanks,

Sakthi

0 Kudos
soonblue
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Sakthi,

Yes, I agree. I'm actually working on the testing for upgrading to vSphere 5 at the university I work for at the moment, and I've been somewhat underwhelmed with the web GUI. I find it rather slow and unwieldy at times. I may reboot my vSphere Client for Linux with compatibility for vSphere 5 (at the moment it's based on the API for vSphere 4.1), but I'd have to know if there's enough interest before I start the project again. That's a lot of coding! :smileylaugh:

Any suggestions on how I can gauge interest? It seems like most people bit the bullet a few years ago when 4.1 was released and ran a Windows virtual machine so they'd be able to use the vSphere VI Client.

Fraser

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As long as its not a show stopper, i guess people would live with the existing web-client, so there wont be much value addition to your Desktop client.

0 Kudos
ecocoach
Contributor
Contributor

A native Linux vSphere Client would actually be very appreciated.

Anything, locking me into the M$ world is a pain in the neck.

Trying to get read of the M$ Windows Virtual Machine(s).

Rolf

0 Kudos
ecocoach
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Fraser

Your present version, based on the API for vSphere 4.1, is it backwards compatible to older APIs (like for ESXi 4.0)?

Is it publicly available? And is there a place, where one could download this version?

Thanks in advance,

Rolf

0 Kudos
hdokes
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings soonblue,

I for one would embrace with open arms a vSphere Client app native to Linux.  I am rather surprised vmware hasn't done this already given their other linux support.  If you do indeed decide to move forward with your linux version, and I'm hoping you do, and you need beta testers... count me in.

hdokes

0 Kudos
DataMedic
Contributor
Contributor

I personally would LOVE one, even if it can just connect to a single ESXi host.  It would save me a bundle on windows licenses in my data recovery lab.  I use virtual machines for just about everything to save on the number of licenses needed for some expensive software.  If I could just use some Linux boxes w/o Windows to access them would be awesome.

It would have to support connecting USB devices that don't have Linux drivers though.  :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
soonblue
Contributor
Contributor

It seems like there's a few people who'd be interested in this. Hmm...perhaps I need to dig out the source again, dust it off and get to work. My current source is not available publicly as it is *extremely* in development and at the moment really only shows alarm and permissions windows, allows you to create and delete virtual machines and does some multi-threading to check for status updates to alarms, inventory window etc in the background.

In answer to one of the questions, yes, it is mainly backwards compatible in current form with ESXi and ESX 4.0. The API did not change much between these versions. I have not tested it against ESX 3.5 and earlier versions because by the time I started working on this 3.5 was already nearing EOL.

0 Kudos