VMware Cloud Community
weechristy
Contributor
Contributor

KS.CFG for Multiple Servers

Hi, I want to deploy around 50+ ESXi 5 servers but would like to be able to use one master kick start file and be prompted to add the hostname and IP addresses somewhere throughout the install. I don't want to have 50+ ks.cfg files with each servers IP addresses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Hi, welcome to the forums...

Besides autodeploy, which might be something you considered already, there's the option to use PXE booting.

A nice how-to can be found here and explains how you can make a semi-interactive setup environment.

Besides that, I can't remember seeing/using something like a prompt for entering information during scripted install ... Maybe someone else has something.

weechristy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Spravtek, cheers for getting back to me. The problem is, all these servers are on seperate sites, so we can't use PXE boot. We will be booting from USB or CD-ROM. The plan is, inject a master KS.CFG file into the ESXi 5 iso image and then somehow change the hostname, ip etc through some form of menu or command line when running the kick start script at each site?

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Hi weechristy...

Well, that is a challenge of course ...

The problem here is that you have a lot of servers to install ... As you said, it would be kinda strange making 50 ks.cfg files and choosing from them during boot (you can give the ks-files any name you like)... But since it's all remote sites, it would be kinda difficult doing it another way.

But maybe someone more smart comes along with a better idea Smiley Wink

0 Kudos