VMware Cloud Community
karthikyn7
Contributor
Contributor

(J9748A) HP Adv Srvs zl Mod w/vSphere Platform upgrade

Hi All,

recently we brought hp module ( (J9748A) HP Adv Srvs zl Mod w/vSphere Platform) which is having embedded esxi 5.0 we planned to upgrade that to 5.1 or 5.5 it is successful but at last  while we rebooting after remove the usb or cd device which we connected to the device it's not booting the load the esxi.

Please suggest what could be the problem.

Regards,

Karthi

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jurbanski207
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I know this is two years late, but I just figured out the answer myself, and found this thread when trying to solve this issue, so hopefully this post helps the next person looking for the same answer.  The J9748A HP Adv Srvs zl Mod w/vSphere Platform utilizes a serial connection for output.  So when you are running your installation you have to update two installation files and add a kickstart script to the bootable esxi installation USB(I included the coding for the kickstart script bellow). 

Complete Steps :

1) Create an esxi installation usb using UNetbootin

2) Update the sys linux.cfg - LEAVE timeout at 100 (this is different than the manual suggests) and comment out the following lines :

#label unetbootindefault

#menu label Default

#kernel /ubnkern

#append initrd=/ubninit -c boot.cfg

3) Update the BOOT.CFG file by adding gdpPort=none logPort=none com1_baud=9600 tty2Port=com1 after runweasel:

kernelopt=runweasel gdpPort=none logPort=none com1_baud=9600 tty2Port=com1

4) Include a file called ks.cfg in the root of the installation USB.  The ks.cfg file can be created in notepad and should include the following :

###start of ks.cfg ###

accepteula

### comment out the next two lines if appropriate for you, it will overwrite and install  I commented them out in case someone copies and pastes without reading ###

#clearpart --alldrives --overwritevmfs

#install --firstdisk --overwritevmfs

### set a root password ###

rootpw passw0rd

### set network settings Update this to match yours ###

network --bootproto=static --device=vmnic1 --ip=10.10.0.100 --netmask=255.255.0.0 --gateway=10.10.0.254 --hostname=esxadmin.domain.local --nameserver=10.10.0.141 --addvmportgroup=0

%firstboot --interpreter=busybox

esxcfg-advcfg -k none gdbPort

esxcfg-advcfg -k none logPort

esxcfg-advcfg -k 9600 com1_baud

esxcfg-advcfg -k com1 tty2Port

### ENABLE SSH AND SHELL ###

# enable & start remote ESXi Shell (SSH)

vim-cmd hostsvc/enable_ssh

vim-cmd hostsvc/start_ssh

# enable & start ESXi Shell (TSM)

vim-cmd hostsvc/enable_esx_shell

vim-cmd hostsvc/start_esx_shell

reboot

6)

When you boot to the installation CD, press tab for advanced options and add:

ks=usb:/ks.cfg

to the end of the command line and press enter.

7) You'll know right away when it reboots that it's working, the screen output in your terminal will look a little different and take you through an automated install... Enjoy

0 Kudos