VMware Cloud Community
Kevin_Boyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issues installing vSphere 5.5 U2 Web Client on Windows 7 professional

This is a new vSphere 5.5 U2 installation.

Windows Server is not available. This is a Linux shop.

I will be using the vCenter Server Appliance 5.5 U2.

I want to install the vSphere Web Client on my Windows 7 professional PC.

I have downloaded VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-2183112-20140901-update02.iso to obtain the vSphere Web Client.

• The vSphere Web Client requires Single Sign-On
  • Single Sign-On has prerequisites
  • The VMware-tcserver prerequisite wants to be installed on Windows Server.

Is there no way to install the vSphere Web Client 5.5 U2 on Windows 7?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pratjain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vCenter Server Appliance has integrated Web client Service.

You just need to access http://<vcenter ip>:9443/vsphere-client using a web-browser to access the webclient.

A separate install of Web-client is not required.

I think this is what you are trying to achieve.

Regards, PJ If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pratjain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vCenter Server Appliance has integrated Web client Service.

You just need to access http://<vcenter ip>:9443/vsphere-client using a web-browser to access the webclient.

A separate install of Web-client is not required.

I think this is what you are trying to achieve.

Regards, PJ If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The web client is only available as a subset of a vCenter instance. There is No standalone installable. Once you have deployed vCSA you will just need to point your local border at the correct URL

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
Kevin_Boyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the clarification. Sometimes one can't see the forest for the trees! :smileyconfused:

Referring to KB article (2058262): VMware KB: Installing the vSphere 5.5 Web Client on a Microsoft Windows platform

I supplied the following feedback...

I'm a new VMware customer so I realize there is a lot I don't know that others take for granted. Still, KB articles and documentation must accommodate the needs of new users.

To begin, I accept that the vSphere Web Client is needed to manage advanced features and is required for new vSphere 5.5 installations. There are many articles like this one describing how to install it therefore it must be a component I need to install. The original vSphere Client is installed on a Windows workstation so that must be where the vSphere Web Client is also installed. Right? Nowhere in this article does it say it has to be a Windows server let alone the vSphere server. This might be obvious or simply intuitive to someone installing vSphere server but I am deploying the vSphere server appliance. 😞

What needs to be done:

1. Change this KB title to "Installing the vSphere 5.5 Web Client on a Microsoft Windows Server platform" or, better yet, "on the vSphere server".
    2. Clarify any potential confusion new users may have about the differences between the vSphere Web Client and the vSphere Client. The names are too similar.
    3. Emphasize the fact that customers who deploy the vSphere server appliance do not need to install the vSphere Web Client. This is needed primarily because of the many existing documents describing why it is needed and how to install it.
0 Kudos