VMware Cloud Community
rpilot777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue when moving the host into cluster

Hello all,

I'm getting "The host's CPU hardware should support the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode…" error when trying to move Lenovo x3650 M5 into the cluster with EVC enabled.

Capture2.PNG

What I've tried so far:

1) As per KB 1003212, I've checked VT and XD are enabled in the BIOS

Capture.PNG

2) As per IBM RETAIN tip: H214692, I've set Operating Mode to Maximum performance

3) With EVC disabled, the host can be added to the cluster Smiley Happy

4) I've tried all available EVC Modes (starting from "Merom"). Still the same error.

The server is pretty new, but now I'm going to check for firmware updates. Any other hints/recommendations? I feel like it should be something simple, that I might forgot.

The server is Lenovo x3650 M5 8871AC1 with Xeon E5 2690.

Environment is vSphere 6.5

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am not sure then why you are enabling EVC in blank cluster. EVC is required to be enable when you need to add hosts with different version's/feature's CPU under same cluster because EVC will expose only those features which are equivilent in all CPUs. Specific and advance features which aren't available in CPUs of all clsuter hosts will be masked off and not be exposed. This is usual to get this error when you add first host in EVC enabled cluster Smiley Happy

To get it work, don't enable EVC before you add first host. If you have more than one host with different CPUs and want to add under same cluster, add first host into cluster without enabling EVC, then analyze the required EVC mode on VMware Knowledge Base before adding other hosts.

Once you find correct required EVC mode, enable it after adding first host into cluster. you wont get this error.

If you have only one host or more than one host with same model, CPUs and hardware config, you don't need EVC to be enabled.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What is the model/maker of other hosts in cluster and their CPUs series?

0 Kudos
rpilot777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No hosts in the cluster yet. Fresh setup

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am not sure then why you are enabling EVC in blank cluster. EVC is required to be enable when you need to add hosts with different version's/feature's CPU under same cluster because EVC will expose only those features which are equivilent in all CPUs. Specific and advance features which aren't available in CPUs of all clsuter hosts will be masked off and not be exposed. This is usual to get this error when you add first host in EVC enabled cluster Smiley Happy

To get it work, don't enable EVC before you add first host. If you have more than one host with different CPUs and want to add under same cluster, add first host into cluster without enabling EVC, then analyze the required EVC mode on VMware Knowledge Base before adding other hosts.

Once you find correct required EVC mode, enable it after adding first host into cluster. you wont get this error.

If you have only one host or more than one host with same model, CPUs and hardware config, you don't need EVC to be enabled.

0 Kudos
rpilot777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh my gosh, I love the web client! I swear, I tried to move the host into empty cluster and then enable EVC, but "Enable EVC..." was grayed out. Now when I tried again that it worked :smileysilly:

Thanks for the hint!

And yes, I'll need EVC for other hosts with different CPUs.