VMware Cloud Community
alfio2009
Contributor
Contributor

Is upgrade to vSphere compulsory

I understand that Vmware want to beat competition however I could not find any benefit with their new cloud computing product vSphere I would rather keep my actual VI3.5 version so my question is this:

Is the upgrade to vSphere compulsory, I mean will the VI 3.5 version be discontinued any time soon and for how long the support of VI3.5 will be available.

Thanks

Alfio

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would think 3.5 will still be supported for the forseeable future. After all, they are still releasing patches for ESX 3.0.3.

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

No upgrade is not compulsory. I think there are some ESX 2.5 systems still running as well.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I do not believe VMware forces you to upgrade to vSphere 4.0 and not all the features are being utilize by all companies and ESX 3.5 still runs perfectly at this point. There are people just waiting for these features and can't wait to get hands on as well. You're are not compulse to anything but rather give you a heads up about availability and option for you to upgrade if you decided. ESX 3.5 will be still be a while before they would announce not supported. But if you already have Enterprise license, you can utilize some of those features free so why not think about it in more technical and availability standpoints.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

There is no compulsion to upgrade, however you will not be able to purchase 3.5 only vSphere. you will then be able to generate a VI3 license from your license portal.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
MattG
Expert
Expert

Remember vSphere is 64-bit CPU compatible only, so for many it will not be an option until the next HW upgrade cycle.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos