VMware Cloud Community
yella
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a vSphere client for linux?

I recently upgraded to vSphere Client v4 for Windows but was hoping a Linux native client might now be available?

I didn't have any luck with the Infrastructure client running in Crossover Linux.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
67 Replies
ilyam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree with you on Mono.

One other minor point, for the past 5 years, i've been running linux (RedHat based distros) and vmware server 1 and 2 - i loved my setup. Upgraded to FC14 little less than a year ago, and learned that VMWare Server is not supported. Tried various hacks - as it was the case before, but had slight success and even then it was unstable. Being sad that VMware dropped the ball on development of VMWare Server product line for newer kernels, i looked in competitor - with much resistance, but I decided to try anyway. Suprisingly, VirtualBox came out shinning with speed and overal perfomance. In addition to the fact that it supports 3D and sound card without switching things or fightning with pulseaudio, i was suprissed and had to admit, i was resistant - to my own disadvantage.

I'm still not convinced that any other competitor will do better than vmware on enteprise level, but on the desktop side, i have to be totally honest, virtual box was way supperior than bloated vmware server.

PS: I dont have a license for workstation and frankly refuse to pay for something that others offer for free.

Regards

-ilya

www.serverchief.com
0 Kudos
rhce2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That does it for me. I was all ready to jump in, but with only support for Windows to manage it, count me out. Looks like it's back to searching for a VM solution.

0 Kudos
jenscz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vielen Dank für Ihre Email.

Ich bin ab dem 22.07.2011 12:00 bis einschliesslich 14.08.2011 nicht im Büro zu erreichen. Bitte beachten Sie, dass Ihre Email nicht weitergeleitet und erst nach meiner Rückkehr bearbeitet wird.

In dringenden Fällen steht Ihnen die EDV-Abteilung unter der Rufnummer 0201/81004-333 oder Mail spoc@bcw-gruppe.de zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

BildungsCentrum der Wirtschaft gemeinnützige GmbH Netzwerkadministration

Jens Czyborra

Herkulesstraße 32

45127 Essen

Fon: 0201 81004-333

Fax: 0201 81004-388

E-Mail: jens.czyborra@bcw-gruppe.de

BildungsCentrum der Wirtschaft gemeinnützige GmbH

Amtsgericht Essen: HRB 13703

Geschäftsführung: Klaus Dieter Braun

Abonnieren Sie auch unseren Newsletter mit aktuellen Nachrichten aus unserem Haus http://www.bildungscentrum.de/news

0 Kudos
DrSarez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey - I was running vmware a long time under windows. After I have switched to linux I found a really good alternative in Proxmox with KVM. Google for both of these words (Proxmox = Hypervisor; KVM = Kernel Based Virtualmachine).

I am using Proxmox for over a year and I do not regret this change. As private user I have more free RAM, less CPU usage and everything is free and maintained by a huge community. And KVM is on its successfull beginning of a great career.

0 Kudos
predatorx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Don't no what proxmox is, but you do not need it.

I switched from VMware ESX 4i to CentOS 6.2 (RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.2) and installed it with virtualisation options.

Add a dekstop and you have it all.

Configured iSCSI and I got all I need.

Virt-manager supports KVM, runs Linux and Windows with no sweat.

No proprietat=ry file system, just transparent and connectable with VNC and on supported OS's : the wonderfull SPICE protocol!

It surpasses RDP and the VMware console vastly.

So now I can connect visually to the host (which used to be vmware, but now is Gnome 2 dekstop on CentOS 6.2 over SSH/VNC) and to the desktops I run on it, by VNC as well.
Works on my Android phone too.

Too bad of the lack of Linux support, bye VMware, hello KVM / Virt-manager!

It even supports moving machines, where the free ESX4i does not Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
Jogarem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well I'm working on a solution to manage ESX(i) natively on Linux with a GUI...

This has started as a little learning simple GUI coding project but it becomes more and more usable ;o)

You can take a look on the current features here:

http://vEMan.nethna.de

I'm currently re-designing some of the GUI parts but I think I can release a public version the next week.

According to:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2005377

Starting from ESX(i) v5 there will be the web access feature also available for ESXi - so you may don't need a client anymore...

But when you're using v4.X you will have no other GUI tool than mine (as far as I know) ;o)

I'm happy for comments ;o)

Regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
soonblue
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The demonstrations I've seen of the web access for vSphere 5 are the primary reason why I dropped support for the Linux-native vSphere client I was working on. I suspect VMware will be trying to get as many people as possible to migrate to 5, so I'm not sure how much of a need there'll be for an ESX 4.x client in future. If there is demand for it I'll continue work (it's about 50% done at the moment, all alarm, permissions, creation, deletion, configuration editing etc are completed), but if not, on the upside, it jogged my memory about a bunch of GTK+ code. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Jogarem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

and keep in mind that the problem with that new Web GUI client is (and it seems it will be):
Not all features are available with the new web client AND it can connect to vCenter only (source: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006095)
So when you're using v4.X or lower or if you want to connect to a single ESX server then there is still the need of a native GUI client like yours or vEMan!
You can take a look on the current features of my BETA version here:
I'm still happy for comments ;o)
0 Kudos