VMware Cloud Community
yella
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a vSphere client for linux?

I recently upgraded to vSphere Client v4 for Windows but was hoping a Linux native client might now be available?

I didn't have any luck with the Infrastructure client running in Crossover Linux.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
67 Replies
DanHaskell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And, of course, I meant the .Net poison - not ActiveX.

0 Kudos
mkbuckingham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's kinda inulsting when I am pushing my 3 letter agency away from Windows and into VMware/Linux and find there is no Linux Vsphere client....when the hypervisor is built on Linux.

My plan was to build everything around Vmware/Linux but it seems I just can't get rid of Microsh!t no matter how hard I try. Kinda hard to justify the expense of VMware if I'm still buying MS licenses out the ass.

0 Kudos
mkbuckingham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

*same

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just to clarify, the hypervisor is not Linux. The Service Console is ESX is based on RHEL but the vmkernel is not. It is completely separate. Although, I do understand your frustrations as I have wondered the same but definitely found it as a non-deal breaker because there are so many ways to circumvent this issue. Many being named in this thread. My experiences with KVM is that it is far from being a VMware replacement. There are just so many things in it that I just don't feel comfortable with. But, that is just my opinion... If you guys want to administer VMware then you will find a way, if not, then you will go whatever direction you see best fit for your deployment. Although, I do find it extremely hard to see this as a deal breaker when the steps to administer it are not a huge ordeal.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
mkbuckingham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's just my way of looking for a way off the MicroCrap train....

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That is understood and I can feel you on that. If I could remove everything MS then I would but that is the current nature of the beast.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
tps800
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it is the nature of the beast, but: if it is the nature, what about having some hints on how I can get it to work for me using

- wine

- mono

what is necessary to make it work? It isn't a good idea creating software for only one platform, awaiting all to switch to this platform just to use this one product. It looks a lot like VMware being a Microsoft Company ...

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well, I will see if I can get something going this week during vacation. I will update this thread as I attempt it.

0 Kudos
rtimj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FWIW, I was just at a VMUG and the word from VMware in response to this issue was that the client for Linux is coming. They are apparently rebuilding it on Adobe Flex. Not sure if this is gospel or not so take it with a grain of salt.

Now if we can only get VMware to support LDAP/eDirectroy instead of needed AD for everything. I personally don't want to trust my directroy to MAD.

0 Kudos
alvserversuppor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Agreed. Another vote here for Linux VI Client and vCenter (and LDAP).

0 Kudos
mdgunther
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I asked about the Linux version at VMworld and I was told they are working on it and that it will probably be with the next major release.  My excitement is killed by seeing "Adobe" mentioned though.  I don't know how hard it would be to get in on the beta, but I if I have the time and resources, I'd apply for it.

0 Kudos
wst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am looking for one, too.

So, consequently, the next question has to be: "When will there be a Linux client?"

With VMware's otherwise good Linux support, it  is rather 'strange' (to be  polite) they don't support it.

0 Kudos
mcssoftware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If anything I would like a VCenter on Linux.  Add to that a nice Vmware provided simple VM of VCenter on Linux.  I find it strange (and costly) to have to purchase Windows licenses for the sole purpose of running VCenter.  I think Linux would fit perfectly here. 

0 Kudos
djflux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would gladly alpha or beta test a vCenter client for Linux.

My advice to VMware would be to make sure that the client runs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux as well as whatever the current versions of Fedora and Ubuntu are.  And please make sure that there is x86_64 support

0 Kudos
Schoerch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would beta test, too. The vSphere Client is my last MS only apps.

We need also eDirecory (LDAP) integration. We don't have MAD.

0 Kudos
cthree
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1 for Mac OSX version. I run a Windows7 VM and connect remotely with RDC solely to run vSphere Client.

0 Kudos
rtimj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am glad to see an eadditonal vote for eDirectory.  I would be very happy with vCenter and VI client on linux but if i still have to mess with MAD....

0 Kudos
acuning
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It would be really great to have a linux+mac version

Tried it using MONO and it still doesn't seem to work fine

There are so many programming languages in linux to code it

0 Kudos
andrea_annoe1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will want to be a beta tester on vClient on Linux and/or vCenter on Linux.

0 Kudos
Nanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've lost count of the number of times I have asked our contacts at VMware when they are finally going to bring out linux versions of vSphere, Client, View etc etc however I just keep hearing the same old reply, most of our customers are M$ and theres a _really_ old partially working beta you might want to try.

It's a real shame as VMware were once a leading light in showing the business world that Linux was not just for switches, routers and web services but in recent years they have really lost direction trying to appease M$ customers exclusively while so many other companies which don't have the Linux heritage of VMware have been producting Multi-Platform versions of their products in the way we want Vmware to.

Having said all that with the new closness to Novell, mainly SuSE, maybe we will starting seeing some pre-built VMware appliances on Linux which is what we all want and it can only help to distinguish VMware from HyperV is a positive way, anyone know of a Linux/Mac HyperV manager?

For those who are interested vSphere (we have tested all versions) and View (tested all versions above 4.x) integrate well with eDirectory via Novell OES2's DSfW "AD on Linux" emulation as indeed do most Microsoft applications.

Dave

0 Kudos