VMware Cloud Community
MartinF10
Contributor
Contributor

Is DataRecovery in esxi 5.1 worth of money?

Hi,

we are still using 4.1U3 and we did not have any reason to upgrade by now.

It works perfectly except for one thing - DataRecovery is the weakest part of the whole infrastructure. Lots of sudden disconnects, CentOS virtual machines cannot be backed up (only boot partition is in every backup), very bad UI - when clicking on Reports, vSphere client freezes up, etc. - briefly, we have been quite disappointed with this product and lost too much time with coping with various problems.

Actually we can upgrade and I read lot of good things about DataRecovery in 5.1 but honestly, are there any satisfied users that could share some experience from using it? Is it really that good? Otherwise we will go veeam, which works ok, but it's much more expensive for us as it requires to buy additional licenses (windows, controller, etc.)

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello MartinF10,

VDP (VMware Data Protecion, formerly VDR) has been pretty solid in my experience. I've used it in a production environment to backup about 50 VM's without much issue.  The interface is all web based versus being snapped into the vSphere client.

I think it would be worth taking a look and if it doesn't work out for you; give Veeam a call. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos