VMware Cloud Community
modeverything
Contributor
Contributor

Invalid user name or password error with vSphere client

I couldn't find a category for vSphere client, so I just used the Upgrade and Install section.

I am running vSphere Client v4.0.0 build 208111 andvCenter Server v4.0.0 build 162856 on a Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 system. Approximately 50% of the time I try to log in to vSphere from either system, I get the "Invalid user name or password" error. I've it works more often if I type in my credentials rather than using the check box to "Use Windows Session Credentials". I probably get a 30% failure rate typing it in manually and a 90% failure rate using the "Use Windows Session Credentials" option. I know some of you may think I'm just mistyping my password, but I rarely mistype my password, and even if I mistype it once, I don't keep mistyping it over and over, and only when I'm trying to log into vSphere client.

I've searched Google and the forums and I don't see anything about this. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've also checked the download area for ESX 4, and it seems as though I have the latest versions of all of the software.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KarthikeyanSund
Contributor
Contributor

May be your Account in problem ??

What type of Account you are using Local/Domain Account ?

If domain account, there can be problem because of stored incorrect passwords/Account Lockout problems.

Check it out and better get a Basic XP machine and check it out.

Thanks,

Karthikeyan Sundaram

Thanks, Karthikeyan Sundaram
0 Kudos
modeverything
Contributor
Contributor

The account that I'm using is a domain admin account. I have been using this same account since the days of ESX 2, and it has always worked fine. This account works fine every time even in vSphere 4 client as long as I'm not logging on from a Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 machine. If I use the Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 machine, sometimes I have to put in my credentials multiple times before it takes them, or sometimes I have to use another system; but sometimes the Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 systems take my credentials fine on the first try. It seems almost random on whether or not I'll be able to authenticate successfully on a Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 system. I can authentication every time using Windows 2003 or Windows XP, with or without checking the "Use Windows session credentials" option.

Also, if my account was locked out, I should experience account problems on other systems that I'm working on.

I did just notice something new, on the 2008 R2 Virtual Center server, I used vSphere client and checked the box for Windows session credentials while trying to connect to localhost and it failed, then I changed it to the FQDN of the machine and it worked, then I changed it back to localhost and it worked.

I also uninstalled the vSphere client from my Windows 7 system, then reinstalled it by connecting to the web interface of the Virtual Center server to ensure it's correct, and it seems to be working a better from the Windows 7 client, though I'm still experiencing the strange behavior listed above on the 2008 R2 system. I'll keep testing using the FQDN instead of localhost and see if I have anymore issues.

0 Kudos