VMware Cloud Community
Han
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Intresting issue with Supermicro system and VMware_bootbank_cpu-microcode_7.0.0-1.25.16324942.vib

I own two Supermicro systems:

- E300-9D-8CN8TP which is certified for 6.7U2 but not yet for 7.0

- A system build by myself using the exact same components.

Both systems run 7.0 GA just fine. However the E300-9D-8CN8TP suffers from a strange problem as soon as I update to 7.0b. The CPU temperature rises to 98 degrees Celsius. I have determined that this is cause by the CPU microcode update contained in that patch. When I re-install 7.0 GA the problem is gone, CPU temperature rises to 65 degrees Celsius.

Regards,

Han.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sudeshnas
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Han,

As per the vmware compatibility guide I see that esxi version 7.0 is now compatible with supermicro computer SYS-E300-9D-8CN8TP

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

I would request you to open a ticket with vmware so that we can take it to our engineering to further investigate of the on the CPU temperature rises issue with the respective cpu microcode version.

Regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Vmware Community Moderator

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
sudeshnas
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Han,

As per the vmware compatibility guide I see that esxi version 7.0 is now compatible with supermicro computer SYS-E300-9D-8CN8TP

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

I would request you to open a ticket with vmware so that we can take it to our engineering to further investigate of the on the CPU temperature rises issue with the respective cpu microcode version.

Regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Vmware Community Moderator

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

0 Kudos
Han
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sudeshna,

No need for a VMware support ticket. Supermicro sent me a new BIOS which solves the problem.

Regards,

Han.

0 Kudos
sudeshnas
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Han,

Thank you for the update.

Regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

0 Kudos
jtfox76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you share the BIOS version you are running now? I am starting to build a small VMware lab with these same hosts. My plan is to run vCF 4 which includes vSphere 7.

0 Kudos