VMware Cloud Community
AQVA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installtion stops at "loading module usb" stage

Hi,

I am trying to install my first bare metal VM Sphere

I downloaded the .iso and burned it on a new CD.

I put the CD in my newly built PC and started the install.

It is currently stopped at the "loading module usb" stage and even though I tried redoing it 3 times, it always stops at the same point.

Can someone help me? I am stuck and dont know what to do.

My system is as follows:

1. MB: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

2. WD SATA 1TB HDD

3. SATA DVD Drive

thx,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Disabling USB in bios typically means it's not available to anything since it's completely off. IF you really wanted to use the USB passthrough of ESXi 4.1, then you'll want supported hardware...

FYI, VMware ESX/ESXi is NOT your typical OS... It's a bare metal hypervisor. As such it has to interact on a much deeper level than other operating systems do, hence the need for the hardware to be on the HCL... I've gotten to the point where if the hardware isn't on the VMware HCL, or something that has proven to have zero issues by many people testing it with great success, I wouldn't even consider using it.

I kind of got lucky with my current ESXi host, although all the time I spent on research before making the purchase took most of the luck part out of the equation. I made sure the drive controller (hardware RAID) was on the HCL as were the processors, and pretty much everything I could check. Plus, I had several deeply technical conversations with Dell engineers BEFORE I made the purchase. I then provided them with feedback on the success of the install, so that they would know it would work (even if it wasn't 100% supported in that configuration).

IF you really want to build a whitebox to run ESX/ESXi, then get a server motherboard, use server processors (Xeon's, nothing else), with a hardware RAID controller (with BBWC), SAS hard drives, ECC memory, etc... Before you start investing in all of that, though, check the major manufacturers (and their outlet sites) to see if they are offering any servers that ARE on the VMware HCL at a better rate... You could pick up a Dell R710 server with one or two drives in it for a good rate... At that point, turn your current box into a SAN and place the VM's there... You could even try the method of running ESXi 4.x from an USB flash drive (2-8GB in size), since you'll be able to leave USB enabled on the host...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ahhhh, the pitfalls of going with a BYOPC/whitebox for an ESX/ESXi host... Since you mentioned using a CD, I'll assume you're installing ESXi 4.x... It WOULD help to know which release of ESX, or ESXi, you're trying to install...

Check out this post (hint, disable ALL USB and enable AHCI for HDs) http://communities.vmware.com/message/1627632#1627632

With the volume of people having to fight hardware when going with whitebox systems it still amazes me that people continue to try it... Especially when you can get hardware that IS on the VMware HCL for not a lot of money (look on ebay of the Dell PowerEdge 2950 server)... Other options also include the Dell Precision Workstation T7400 (I'm using one with a PERC 6/i RAID controller with all SAS hard drives)... Spending a few extra dollars to aquire a proper host saves you countless hours fighting hardware with each release (and very often every update too)...

Of course, with you having to disable USB on your mobo, you can forget about installing ESXi 4.x onto an USB flash drive...

VMware VCP4

AQVA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

The reason why I chose this PC was for experimenting and getting a feel for the app. I didnt think it would be that troublesome.

I will try and disable USB and enable AHCI and see if it will work.

I need to find a keyboard that doesnt use USB though and I may not have one handy.

Does this mean that I cant use USB at all? If not, then I may not want to bother trying to install it as I am sure I will need USB on the virtual machines eventually.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Disabling USB in bios typically means it's not available to anything since it's completely off. IF you really wanted to use the USB passthrough of ESXi 4.1, then you'll want supported hardware...

FYI, VMware ESX/ESXi is NOT your typical OS... It's a bare metal hypervisor. As such it has to interact on a much deeper level than other operating systems do, hence the need for the hardware to be on the HCL... I've gotten to the point where if the hardware isn't on the VMware HCL, or something that has proven to have zero issues by many people testing it with great success, I wouldn't even consider using it.

I kind of got lucky with my current ESXi host, although all the time I spent on research before making the purchase took most of the luck part out of the equation. I made sure the drive controller (hardware RAID) was on the HCL as were the processors, and pretty much everything I could check. Plus, I had several deeply technical conversations with Dell engineers BEFORE I made the purchase. I then provided them with feedback on the success of the install, so that they would know it would work (even if it wasn't 100% supported in that configuration).

IF you really want to build a whitebox to run ESX/ESXi, then get a server motherboard, use server processors (Xeon's, nothing else), with a hardware RAID controller (with BBWC), SAS hard drives, ECC memory, etc... Before you start investing in all of that, though, check the major manufacturers (and their outlet sites) to see if they are offering any servers that ARE on the VMware HCL at a better rate... You could pick up a Dell R710 server with one or two drives in it for a good rate... At that point, turn your current box into a SAN and place the VM's there... You could even try the method of running ESXi 4.x from an USB flash drive (2-8GB in size), since you'll be able to leave USB enabled on the host...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
frenchyaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disable C1E in the BIOS, you'll be just fine.

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Does your hardware support USB3.0, Try to switch the USB to 2.0,2.1 speed and check it out.

-Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos