VMware Cloud Community
inikolaev82
Contributor
Contributor

Installing esxi 5.1 on a virtual machine on esxi 5.1, getting "VMWare requires the Execute Disable/No Execute CPU feature to be enabled"

Hi,

I am trying to install a ESXi server on a virtual machine in a vSphere 5.1 environment, but keep getting the purple screen with "VMWare requires the Execute Disable/No Execute CPU feature to be enabled" notification.

I have set guest OS to ESXi 5.x and CPU/MMU virtualization to Intel VT-x/AMD-v (tried both for MMU and EPT/RVI options).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eli

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hi Eli,

Check this link

virtuallyGhetto: How to Enable Nested ESXi & Other Hypervisors in vSphere 5.1

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
inikolaev82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your response!

I have this checkbox grayed out, does this mean that I am unable to run nested ESXi on this server?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9eeLsTPfH24/UC6V0MjjZkI/AAAAAAAADTk/vaJXCLYIfFA/s1600/vws-3.png

BTW It's esxi 5.0, not 5.1

Kind regards,

Ilya Nikolaev

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hi Ilya,

If that box is greyed out, this means that virtualization support may not be present. You can confirm by running the CPU utility

Shared Utilities

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your Desktop support Intel-VT or AMD-VT feature enable that feature logging into BIOS and you required 64Bit compatible CPU and 2 GB memory for ESXi 4.1 or ESXi 5.1, try with vmware workstation 9.0 or in .vmx file you need add one line.

0 Kudos