VMware Cloud Community
jelloguil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing Vcenter 4 and manage Esxi3.5

Hi, i've just purchased Vsphere 4 enterprise and Vcenter3 Standard edition.

I installed on a windows 2003 server the vcente server. I intalled also the client and when I try to add host I have an error:

VI3 host cannot be added if Vcenter is licensed but license server is not configured. Configure Licence server and try again.

So I revise the documentation and they said that if I want to manage ESXi3.5 or ESX 3 with my Vcenter I need a licence server and refer to VMware Infrastructure 3 documentation to how to installed. I look into the doc but they said that I need the VMI 3 cd to click on vpx folder and then click on vmware-licenceserver.exe. I don't have the VMI 3 CD. I downloaded ESX4 CD and I cannot download previous version to get the executable. So I can I manage my ESXi3.5

I want to manage my ESXi3.5 before upgrading those to Vsphere 4 enterprise

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

You can download the license server for ESX 3.5 here.

The download link is available off of this page.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

You can download the license server for ESX 3.5 here.

The download link is available off of this page.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
jelloguil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank for the link to download the license server. Now I try to installed and I stuck on the step who I need to specify the path to the license file. But I don't have license file. I always have just a serial number when I download ESXi 3.5

On the ESXi host I see the vmware.lic if I go in unsupported screen, but if I take it and install on my licence server, it's said that's not a valid license file. I try to go in my account profile to see if I can download license file but I don't see where it can be.

So what can I do?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There should be a way in the account to register a serial number and then get a license for it.

Check out the Product Licensing Portal - it has a ton of information.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
jelloguil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I search for the serial number with the tool, it's found, but the type it's eval mode free unllimited licences. In the portal, the doc seems to say that I need to register the serial number, it's already done I after that I need to clic on generate license file. But I can't find this button.

I've just test to downgrade my licence order and I will try with that If i can generate license file.

0 Kudos
bsti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This may be slightly different from what you see, but when I do the following I can download my license file:

- Sign in

- Choose the "Manage Product Licenses" destination from the drop down.

- Then select the "VMWare Infrastructure 3" product. CLick GO.

The title of the next screen should be "Manage VI3 Licenses". Near the bottom of the screen, I see a grid that shows "My License Files". It displays the date the license file was created, by whom,and the licensing model. If you click the Date Created On hyperlink, you go to a screen where you can click a "download now" button or a "Email me the license" button.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
jelloguil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi I go like you said. Here what I had

My VI3 Product Licenses Go To: vSphere / vCenter Licenses\ \

Serial Number Lookup\

You do not have any eligible licenses to manage. Click on the register link above to generate license for a new product order

Then If I go to Vsphere Licenses, it's look like

vSphere 4 Enterprise

1 LICENSE KEY(s) 4 CPU(s)

• LICENSE KEY(s)

• XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX 4 CPU(s)

• Add / Edit Comment: Save 100 / 100 characters remaining.

• Related Orders:

• Order Number 2XXXXXXX

• Order Date 2009-08-12

• Quantity 4

Divide

Downgrade ordersto obtain licenses for older product versions (example: VI3)

-

And it's not possible to click anywhere to get licence

I will wait until my license will be downgraded and see if it's help.

Thank again

0 Kudos
bsti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That makes sense. VSphere 4 does not do license files anymore, but keys like you said. I'm betting your downgrade will fix your issue. Good luck!

0 Kudos